Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

heartrva OP t1_isjhuwj wrote

Thanks for the response. What part of Florida? I'm in Central Florida but I'm an hour plus to an urban/city environment. I've checked out and considered moving to:

• Tampa Bay/St Pete: insanely expensive, hurricane risk

• Orlando: expensive, awful traffic, tourists, no sea breeze so it's even hotter

• Jacksonville: I've seen this described as "Richmond with a beach." I've driven through a couple times, looks like it has potential, but haven't spent any significant time there.

I won't lie the lack of income tax here is nice. I would take a decent pay cut to move back to VA.

DoubleDragon33 t1_isjwe6f wrote

I’m near Daytona, which is pretty much all the awful things about Florida wrapped up into one city, lol.

Charlesinrichmond t1_isk35kq wrote

I've heard decent things about Tampa St. Pete. Jax no way, that's a florida version of Va beach. Orlando, what, you want MORE humidity?

Best thing is to leave Florida of course. I couldn't wait to get out. Was just talking to another refugee at a party last night about how people who haven't lived there think florida is great, and we are so happy to not be there.

heartrva OP t1_isk6tbc wrote

Refugee LOL that is hilarious! If I end up moving back I'll coordinate a Former Floridians of RVA trauma recovery meetup!

Splask t1_ism7xkf wrote

I have lived in St. Pete and currently live north of Clearwater and commute to Tampa for work. The traffic is insane and the people driving the cars are worse. The only thing great about it right now is how much I'm going to make when I sell my house.

I'm going to miss all of the awesome rare fruits I'm growing though.

robyoungin t1_isk6vsw wrote

Native Floridian here, I would never move back. BUT if you’re looking for a more Richmond vibe there are some little pockets.

Jacksonville is a giant suburb but the five points neighborhood is young and walkable and has some interesting things to do, as does the Atlantic/Jax Beach area (lots of bars and music).

College towns are a good bet, Gainesville is small and the university is basically 100% of the town but there are options for good food, music, and some really nice state parks close by (Paynes Prairie , Hammock Preserve, Ginnie Springs)

Orlando is a ring of hell but some surrounding neighborhoods are nice, north of the city is the University of Central Florida and the smaller city of Winter Park which gives a very Carytown vibe.

I can’t give any advice on the people or weather or traffic, but there are things to explore. Good luck!

NoFanksYou t1_isknd00 wrote

Have you looked at Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach?

sweetnpeach t1_ismrqhj wrote

If you hate Florida, Orlando will only make you hate it more. I lived there for 32 years and it’s not worth it unless you’re rich or a Disney Adult and just must be near the Parks. Orlando can be very nice if you have enough money to live in a nice area and enjoy all the city has to offer. But if you’re middle class or below, it’ll be really bad.