Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Charlesinrichmond t1_isk3y3x wrote

I like Richmond better than Philly. That said, go. You might feel differently. And you can always move back, Richmond isn't going anywhere.

There's no shame in trying someplace different even if it doesn't end up working out. In fact, the reverse. And you will eat awesome cheesesteaks, and roast pork

TGIIR t1_isobu3v wrote

And bakeries. My father is dead now but I always looked forward to visiting him in NJ - right outside of Philly. The food was awesome there and there was the best Italian restaurant close to his house. You could bring your own wine there and pay a $2 corkage fee. The bakery was next door. And cheaper alcohol was right down the road. My husband and I had a food/alcohol roadmap every time we went to visit. I miss that. And actual hoagies. And my dad.

Charlesinrichmond t1_isofyhy wrote

we actually have very very good bakeries in Richmond. Now Italian food... not so much.

TGIIR t1_isohnth wrote

Can you steer me to a good bakery? I’m in the West End and don’t drive so has to be close. I’ve lived in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Then DC area for 20+ years. I’ve been in Richmond now for 13 years. Yeah, I’m old. I love it here. Drivers here still stink but people are very nice. Until they get in their car…lol. Well, that might be my old age talking.

Charlesinrichmond t1_isoijz7 wrote

that might be impossible sadly. All the ones I know are in the city. Sub Rosa is good to the point of getting written up in NYT for it. Idle Hands. Europa crust has a great rep for bread. Pearls and Shyndigz for cake. Sugar and Twine etc

You should make a post about it and see if people have suggestions

TGIIR t1_isonv4d wrote

Might have to make a trip into the city then. Thanks for the recommendations.

Charlesinrichmond t1_isovrw5 wrote

you should post for recs before coming in, to get a good list. With specifics - like say if you want Sfogliatelli or cannoli I'd go to 8 1/2 in fan.

TGIIR t1_isowlxc wrote

I just had the worst lasagna ever from a place I used to order from regularly. I couldn’t even eat it. I called them to complain and person answering phone said that’s how we make it. Think they might have changed owners. Used to have the best linguini with clams. Best pizza. Best pasta in West End. Really good customer service. Sadly, no more. My step-grandmother was Italian and her lasagna was legendary. I miss Nan and her lasagna. She made it on Thanksgiving and I noped out of the turkey for that lasagna.

Charlesinrichmond t1_ist4h4k wrote

leonardos? I make my own lasagna I confess. Lots of good recipes out there. Fair amount of work, but I feel its the season again

TGIIR t1_istoq8o wrote

Pizza Express. Used to do the best pasta besides pizza. No more. I get pizza from Mod now. Hate to order from chain but their pizza is the best. Still looking for pasta.

TGIIR t1_istp9jf wrote

Sorry just order in now. I’m disabled and can’t cook. My Nan (step grandmother) made the best lasagna ever. If I could cook would do her recipe.

TGIIR t1_isoxfp9 wrote

For some reason I was just craving lasagna the other day. Hard to find around here that delivers.