Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

only-hooman t1_ispsubz wrote

There is a lot to complain about in Florida, as I see in some of the comments- and they're all true haha. So I figure I'll throw in some of the things I loved while I was there for 6 years (may be what you're missing)-

-Fresh water springs, visit them on the weekdays so it's not too crowded. If you bring a mask and some fins, you can practice your free diving and see some awesome views. Some of them you can see where the fresh water boils out of the earth, it's pretty magical imo. Devils den is different, and blue springs doesn't always allow people in the water due to all the manatees! I could go on but I encourage you to look into the springs for sure.

-Scuba diving, if you're interested in marine life it's life changing. Enjoy the salt water while you are still there, I miss jumping in the ocean after work once in a while. Feels so damn good. Anyway, you can see some reefs off the coast of southern Florida (starting around Ft. Lauderdale down to the keys). With a lil online research you can find some easy access spots with out a boat. Scuba diving or not, worth checking out SoFlo. Some places are cool with their own quirks, like Wynwood near Miami surprised me and with the art museums and graffiti art it may feel a bit like Richmond.

-Get yourself a kayak and explore. No need to be scared of the gators, the more you see them you'll notice they are scared of you. Plus you'll get to see a ton of birds that you wouldn't normally see in VA. Learn about the marsh environment and the mangroves then go out and see them, it is impressive.

-Interesting/different job opportunities. I job hoped a bit because it was all so fascinating to me, but it depends on what your interests are. If you don't plan on staying long, might as well check em out while you're there. During my undergrad I did some shark surveys for NOAA through my university as a research assistant, was a vet tech for sea turtles at the marine science center, and was a seasonal stewardess on a yacht in the Bahamas.

I eventually realized I didn't want FL to be my forever home and moved to RVA in hopes to find that. Been here a year and so far love it- I've done a fair share of exploring here so far, but I would love to hear some of the things that make you love this place so much.