Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Charlesinrichmond t1_iu5zj61 wrote

We have a huge structural shortage of rentals in Richmond. 5% is what I've always heard as the functionally zero vacancy number. 2% is just absurd.

A lot of stuff is getting built but it's getting filled up as fast as people build it.

We need to make it legal to build more housing. Not just the big five plus ones but the fourplexes sixplexes and duplexes and adus that people actually want to live in

girlmuchtoomuch t1_iu6y3sm wrote

How do you think we go about making that happen? I for one would love to put a ADU on my property but hear getting it passed through zoning is virtually impossible.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iu70ywt wrote

City is actually getting a lot more open on that I'm amazed. They are looking to change the zoning

What you can do is tell your city counselor you want to see it happen. Planning department wants it city council just has to approve it

This is such an amazing change in perspective from the city that my mind is boggled. Their old attitude was that they hated to see buildings built on empty lots in the museum district and fan and they have done 180° turn. It's amazing if we all keep pushing it will happen

girlmuchtoomuch t1_iu71x1c wrote

Do you think it's the same in Chesterfield County? I talked to someone in zoning over the summer and he basically said none had ever been approved to his knowledge. That was mind boggling to me.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iua01ed wrote

no clue, but I'd be very pessimistic in Chesterfield. None have ever been approved sounds like don't bother.

The city used to have that approach, and has now actually seemed to realize it's idiotic, and is permitting ADUs with SUPs, and moving to change the code. This is awesome for homeowners and for renters, which should make it a no brainer, so my mind is utterly boggled that it's happening.

So while I'd guess Chesterfield would be the very last place in the area to approve it, who knows? Stil call your representatives