Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mmeeggggss t1_ithgcfy wrote

dudewhoisbrowsing t1_ithhavd wrote

Not that I have really seen. They specialize in all things asian. So you have Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc. The one I go to on Midlothian Turnpike has maybe one aisle that has stuff you would find in a normal American Grocery store, and stuff found in Latin America.

As for a store that has British fare, you might want to try Europa Food Market at 5243 W. Broad Street. I don't know what all is in there as I haven't been there myself. But it seems like a good starting point.

Mmeeggggss t1_ithhrtt wrote

Ooh ok thank you! I appreciate the info!

dudewhoisbrowsing t1_ithj8xp wrote

Also, welcome to Richmond!

Mmeeggggss t1_ithmpv7 wrote

Thanks! Your other comment made me think of my Polish grandmother who used to make pierogis from scratch on holidays. So freaking good. Maybe I need to replicate those!

dudewhoisbrowsing t1_ithn588 wrote

If you replicate those, I would be more than willing to trade you some of my home made dishes for home made pierogis! I am really good in Italian, Cajun, Irish, and improvised asian dishes!

Mmeeggggss t1_ithp0t4 wrote

I’ll let you know if I can find the recipe. Just checked w my brother and he said he doesn’t have it, so the hunt continues. If I make them anyway I’ll let you know!

dudewhoisbrowsing t1_ithi7pz wrote

Not a problem! Now I kind of want to hit up Europa to see if they have some good Polish Keilbasa and Pierogies.

fr0bert t1_ithngi5 wrote

There's some Caribbean stuff in New Grand, which has some crossover with British stuff but not a lot. If youre looking for British staples it's hard around here, Publix has a section but you will absolutely balk at the prices. I'm going home on weds for a few days and intend to fill my suitcase with a load of tea bags and uk/ireland treats on the way back 😁

Mmeeggggss t1_ithpt1r wrote

The Publix prices are so awful right?! Like who pays $7.99 for marmite when you can get it for £2?! Or like $5.99 for HP sauce?! I’ve been stockpiling Bisto and Paxo prepping for the holidays. Thanks for the commiseration! We aren’t going back until next May so Publix, Amazon, and Word Market will have to do. Have a great trip home!

fr0bert t1_itigt3x wrote

I'll admit I did cave in a moment of weakness and pay for Weetabix and brown sauce in Publix lol

Mmeeggggss t1_itipxyf wrote

No shame in that! We totally bought brown sauce and a decent Colmans-wanna-be mustard as well as a few other things. Husband would die without brown and red sauces. Shame we don’t get Branstons at ours because we would probably overpay for that too!

PerlinLioness t1_itk7fmt wrote

They have a small section for British candy. What sorts of things are you looking for? World Market has some good stuff.

Mmeeggggss t1_itlf3ca wrote

Hey there. I can’t find Branstons at my Publix but haven’t checked WM yet and I can’t find Paxo anywhere other than Amazon. I definitely need to hit up WM (if for nothing else, Colmans).

PerlinLioness t1_itlfvso wrote

Ask a store manager at Publix about the specific product. Sometimes they’ll order it for you if they don’t have it at your store. We’ve done this for a couple things in the past—especially British stuff. Haven’t seen Paxo though.