Submitted by coconut_sorbet t3_xx899d in rva

Looking for a new place to work or study? The Branch Museum of Architecture and Design is opening their second floor library/study room to the public Monday - Friday for the month of October. I went earlier this week and it was nice and quiet and had free coffee and plentiful wifi; honestly I second guessed whether to even post this and potentially ruin this spot for myself!

Slightly more info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/499888035318453/499888055318451/

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

syndrome_imposter t1_irar2vx wrote

How many seats do you think you saw there? This seems awesome! Is it free to get in?

coconut_sorbet OP t1_irare31 wrote

It's free, yes! There were about 15 seats I'd say - several large and small tables, a few sofas.

himynameisjay t1_irbf2w2 wrote

Very nice of you. This is the type of place I'd hope to discover and never tell anyone about.

mango_jules t1_irbfnwe wrote

Ya u shoulda kept it a secret lol

coconut_sorbet OP t1_irbgm6y wrote

I know, I know... 😂 But hopefully if enough people show up, they'll offer this again after this month!

CapeCharlesVA t1_iraug2l wrote

10-12 years ago their back lawn was a great semi-secret dog park in the evenings. We never ever had anyone say anything to us and never saw more than 2 other dogs there.

JudoMoose t1_irbgxt8 wrote

It was great up until about 5 years ago, I guess it got more popular with less conscientious dog owners and the museum was upset with how much poop was being left. So they banned dogs. That apparently didn't stop people from sneaking their dogs in so they banned everyone and started locking it. Haven't checked really since Covid so don't know how it is currently.

tinydeelee t1_irwvnsw wrote

It's open whenever the museum is open! Still no dogs allowed, except for service animals as is required by ADA. You can pop in through the gate on Davis if you can climb stairs. If not, there is a ramp in the front courtyard of the building that will bring you around and onto the garden's terrace.

allmimsyburogrove t1_irbsoja wrote

thanks for this. It's right around the block from me, and I often go to their wonderful garden to study/read. Great architecture and light and the leaves are just turning!

GrayRVA t1_irbyp64 wrote

Coconut! I feel a walk is going to be had!

tinydeelee t1_irwxjf9 wrote

FYI: Free museum parking is available in the First Baptist Church overflow lot right next to The Branch. There are entrances to the parking lot on Park and Robinson.

coconut_sorbet OP t1_irx3eu0 wrote

Good to know! I'm in walking distance but this might help others!