Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

QuixoticNomad t1_ixv4jvb wrote

You can train a high prey drive animal.....

−2

sunlightdrop t1_ixv9h3o wrote

Maybe that works until you make one mistake and it kills another animal.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvamdq wrote

Not if they are trained correctly......where do you get your information?

−2

sunlightdrop t1_ixvbrq6 wrote

Most people agree that a dog that has killed another pet is too great of a liability and BE is the responsible option. You can train a dog and try to distract them when they are triggered but it won't make their nature go away. And if one day you accidentally leave the gate open, or a leash slips out of your hand...someone else could be dead.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvg83q wrote

Also.the fact you say dsitract your dog.....that's not training thats an owner who has no clue what.they are doing...

NuttingOnNutzy t1_ixveli6 wrote

Ah yes, the false consensus defense of “most people agree” with me

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvgrvg wrote

Also I have had in my life several high drive dogs, all were trained to be off leash, and none of them ever gave into their prey drive bc they were trained correctly, efficiently and I was consistent w w training.

sunlightdrop t1_ixvho24 wrote

Their prey drive wasn't that high then, obviously.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvjhp9 wrote

Also wrong, all 4 different breeds definitely in the start killed chickens, some barn cats, rabbits, and even the malinois was great at squrriels and birds. And all 4 I got at 1-2 years old from owners that sound excatly like you. Guess what after training they didn't kill a single thing (that's not true 2 of them killed a coyote, but that's 100% acceptable on a farm) and they were always off leash. And alot.of the time.id walk them through Richmond on leash and sometimes off depending on the location.

Again where are you getting your information? Have you owned, trained high prey drive animals? Are you a veterinarian?

−1

sunlightdrop t1_ixvka4p wrote

Wow, sounds like a bloodbath. Why are your dogs lives so much more important than all the suffering and death they caused others?

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvle7s wrote

Well bc they deserve a fair chance...the fact Thier pervious owners didn't know how to handle or train wasn't the dogs fault. Also you have zero clue what your talking about. And you still can't cite a single source let alone a credible one to back up your opinions.

🤡

sunlightdrop t1_ixvlo32 wrote

I don't recall you citing any sources either, personal anecdotes aren't a source

I just think it's interesting how little some dog owners seem to care about the lives of innocent pets, livestock, and wildlife. They're treated as cannon fodder while dogs always get a second chance.

QuixoticNomad t1_ixvrhny wrote

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/how-to-channel-your-dogs-predatory-instincts-on-walks/There you go; while you are right, you can't "train it out of them" (that also sounds like something trump would say) it is certainly controllable and trainable. That's from the AKC, I have more I can keep going........

So stop spreading bullshit about topics you know nothing about to just assert your opinion. "most people agree" lol 🤡