Submitted by lunar_unit t3_yqsoqv in rva

Please glance at this so you don't post on Saturday morning with tears in your eyes wondering why you can't escape the city. The events start at 7am, and go on all day. Streets will be closed before that (probably the night of Nov 11th).

Get outside on foot, and go cheer the participants. It's gonna be a beautiful sunny Fall weekend.

Event Schedule:

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/race-weekend/event-schedule/

Course Maps:

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/race-weekend/course-information/marathon-course/

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ghoulieandrews t1_ivpydk3 wrote

Oh good, looks like I'll be fully trapped in my neighborhood for the duration. Guess we're getting stuff done around the house. Thanks for the heads up!

atomcow1 t1_ivq0twa wrote

I'm really not crazy about the forecast Saturday! Should be great for spectators though.

airykillm t1_ivq4uq7 wrote

I genuinely appreciate the heads-up. I wish all of the participants the best of luck and hope that all involved stay safe.

As for me and my house, we'll stay at home.

Hedgecore138 t1_ivqajuq wrote

I feel like they had better closure maps in the past, but here is a link to a Waze map that helps navigate around road closures.

AlreadyShrugging t1_ivqjmbe wrote

They couldn’t have picked a more disruptive route. Anyone who is just trying to live or work in this city will be screwed with and without pre-planning. Might as well decide now if you want to be trapped inside or outside for a full day.

−17

lunar_unit OP t1_ivqo667 wrote

I've heard that they do this, but I don't have specifics, and generally avoid driving downtown on the day of (though I know that's not always possible for everyone.)

zebra_c4kez t1_ivqw2wu wrote

I've run the half in the past and you're right. It's typically been in some intersections in the fan near the end of the course, not the big ones. Though, it's been a while since I ran that race so might have changed.

Andrew_64_MC t1_ivr6b68 wrote

This explains the no parking signs all the way down my street. Maybe this will be enough for them to actually sweep the streets clear of leaves. Low-key scared I’m going to start a fire every time I park.

WizardofWood t1_ivrs227 wrote

May the odds that you don’t replicate the traffic scene in Falling Down be ever in your favor.

dybbuk67 t1_ivrw9mg wrote

Not a good day to live on the South Side!

SCGower t1_ivtucr4 wrote

Are the streets closed all day though??

raindeerpie t1_ivufjpl wrote

they usually open as soon as the last runner goes by. the earlier in the route you are the earlier the roads open. not sure about down where the start finish line is. those probably stay closed all day.

Diet_Coke t1_ivv3r7k wrote

Several years ago, I lived on Main St in the Fan on the Marathon course. Got home from work around midnight, crashed, and woke up to the sound of cheering outside. It wasn't until later that the realization dawned on me that my car had been towed.

Called my mom who lived in Hopewell so she could drive me to Seibert's. She was afraid to drive through the city so I rode my bike up to Broad near the Rite Aid so she could just hop off the interstate and then we could go. Paid my blood money to Seiberts, roughly the equivalent of a tuition payment.

Stopped back by to pick up my bike and both of my hand-assembled deep V wheels had been stolen.

cmacdc12 t1_ivyxxki wrote

Not sure where you’re located but I parked in the museum district on a side street with that didnt have any parking signs. I live in the fan.

I’m driving to nova on Saturday so I needed to park somewhere with an escape route 😅