Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

__looking_for_things t1_j0ehjtq wrote

When you register to vote that info is available to be sold to candidates and other voting orgs.

jacksonwarg t1_j0ekkor wrote

This is particularly true if you vote by SMS.

−6

Walters0bchak241 t1_j0f2ob2 wrote

Man I wish we could, no idiots ever question American Idols voting process.

cantaloupe-490 t1_j0ecf9z wrote

Yes, I got the text also. I have given my number to democratic reps in the past when I've contacted their offices for whatever reason, so it's in some democratic bank somewhere. I'm assuming it came from either Betsy Carr's list or Tim Kaine's, since they both have my information and have both endorsed her. But I don't actually know. I texted back 'stop' and did not get an auto-reply saying I was removed.

goosey65 t1_j0ecrt6 wrote

Sometimes they won’t send a text but do still remove. Depends on the texting system and what they set up. This is based on having volunteered for campaigns in the past.

goosey65 t1_j0ecn7g wrote

Politicians sell/share info. You sign up for one politician’s campaign or a party affiliated cause and they will sell that number. Lord knows I didn’t ask to get 10 emails a day from Nancy Pelosi. This can also happen with corporate and nonprofits mailing lists. You can buy emails and such from third parties.

Soloemilia t1_j0edmpd wrote

I’ll see the emails show up and I’m like Nance babe, I’m working here! Summarize weekly PLEASE!!!

Mr_Kittlesworth t1_j0f63uq wrote

Wild that she had time to email so many of us personally while serving as Speaker of the House.

/s

oldsoul333 t1_j0ehuvi wrote

Political parties have massive internal databases that have voting history (what elections you voted in and how, not for whom), contact history, and intricate algorithms that basically predict your party leanings, issue stances, and willingness to vote. It’s how they put together texting, calling, mailing, and canvassing lists. It’s wild and super invasive imo.

EricLambert_RVAspark t1_j0ew3lp wrote

Also know what primary you voted in, which is a good indicator of what party you favor

catmmy50 t1_j0ejz6v wrote

Me too. Always text Stop

szabo22 t1_j0f1s7d wrote

If your number was ever with a campaign, political interest group, or party, they usually sell or give it to other campaigns. Sometimes fundraising or mail firms will make their lists available to clients. Sometime the origin vector (where your number became a record) came from your voter registration data, other times it comes from you signing up for a free sticker at an event on a college campus, or from when you signed up at a speaking event.

Source: used to run campaigns in Virginia.

TwatWaffl t1_j0excqu wrote

No mention of a plan to address crime? Cool. At least pretend you will address it, sheesh..

femanonette t1_j0f90l4 wrote

Sure did! Forwarded that right to the SPAM filter: 7726

RVAblues t1_j0gajtp wrote

Anyone else remember when everybody’s phone number and address was published in a book that got delivered free to everyone’s house?

Phone numbers are legally in the public record, unfortunately. Anyone can get it if they want it.

PercyDovetonsils t1_j0gjjrg wrote

I remember the White Pages. I also remember you could request that your number not be listed in that book (for a fee), which I did.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j0ju5z5 wrote

Vote blue or act blue. I forget what they are called but giving them money say very poor choice on my part since they spam me constantly