Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Charlesinrichmond t1_j297an6 wrote

so this sounds weird but not off. Hurts the landlord theoretically if they don't have 2 signatures. To your advantage to have 1.

Given everyone is going to see this as a benefit to you, it's going to be tough to to get help...

But you don't have to sign lease, you can move out if your lease is up.

I guess I don't really see the issue here?

bkemp1984Part2 t1_j29k1m4 wrote

Heh, yeah, I'd want all the signatures in the world if I was the landlord. Though, I could see OP also not liking to be the only one on the lease....the other person might not feel much obligation to pay since they aren't formally on the hook for anything. I feel like them being on the lease makes it more likely they'll pay their half.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j2a5chw wrote

That makes sense. There has got to be something more to this because normally as you say landlords want every single signature possible on the lease

jibbiriffs OP t1_j29rqwf wrote

the issue is that i want the liability split with the other room mate. Not just all on myself. The liability that a roommate will be obligated to pay.

Also with the security deposit, the former roommate is getting theirs back so, i would need to get a security deposit from the new person to give to the landlord. Shouldn't that be written down so my new roomie gets the deposit back, for more assurance?

Charlesinrichmond t1_j2b4wh2 wrote

You can do your own lease with your roommate if you want to protect yourself with that

FromTheIsle t1_j2b5dpt wrote

The landlord probably shouldn't be giving the old roommate rhe deposit back until you move out. This is the exact shit landlords do that gets them in hot water. Fairly certain that's a violation of escrow law. But yes you are right this stuff should be documented in the lease.