Submitted by oddballfactory t3_zz7nzw in rva

Any time I go over them faster than 5mph either direction it sounds like I'm destroying something on the front end of my car. I never noticed anything on my bumper, and my wheels have never come out dented, but it sounds absolutely horrific. Is this just the struggle of having a subcompact car, or do people in higher profile SUVs experience the same thing?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bruxalle t1_j2a1uk3 wrote

All those crosswalks were fucked from the very beginning. An asphalt road should never have a crosswalk made of bricks surrounded by cement.

firemummy t1_j2b3b4u wrote

Any physics expert, please feel free to correct me: If you have two different materials like that next to each other, they are bound to wear at different rates. So I think it was doomed from the get-go.

Asterion7 t1_j2a42c2 wrote

I think they are supposed to act as a traffic calming device.

big-heck-nah t1_j2aj338 wrote

They used to be smooth, but the base layer under the bricks couldn’t handle to weight of all the vehicles and the bricks settled. That’s why a lot of people veer to the extreme edge of the lane when passing through there, because the bricks haven’t dropped as much on the sides.

awakening513 t1_j2bm9q8 wrote

It’s so you don’t hit pedestrians

Time-Depth7953 t1_j2b7kh3 wrote

Yes! My Honda civic front end sounds like it’s about to fall off if I get the angle wrong. I have found that the middle lane is the worst. My husbands SUV has much less impact.

rvaBikeGrrl t1_j2dlvq7 wrote

people drive like Belvidere is a race track and those crosswalks can't take the impact.

ImplementEven1196 t1_j2edz92 wrote

We need some of those brick crosswalks on Semmes Ave. one at every block

-B001- t1_j2ekg0c wrote

They were fine at first -- but yea, now they are bad.