Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nauraug t1_j6ejgme wrote

Creating raised pedestrian crosswalks around campus would have the benefit of slowing cars down while also making pedestrians more visible. Some flashing pedestrian lights are sorely needed around VCU. Narrowing Cary and Main's lanes by painting a bike lane doesn't seem a bad idea either, and would be pretty cheap (narrower lanes promote cars to slow down).

That being said, I drive around downtown a LOT as an Uber and have witnessed students walking or running directly into the street without looking, not using a crosswalk, having their earphones in, checking their phones, etc. I'm not blaming anyone here, but it seems to me that there's a bad mix of improper pedestrian safety measures by the city AND a college campus that brings in a large amount of students from NOVA's sprawling suburbs who just don't have the experience of living in an urban/pedestrian environment. It isn't anyone's "fault" necessarily, it's American car culture rearing its ugly head.

During my VCU orientation there was nothing said about getting around campus safely, which I found odd. It wouldn't be the worst idea to have a mandatory orientation on what it means to be a pedestrian on campus.

peace_dogs t1_j6fxugt wrote

Have to agree. Pre-pandemic I drove during the day for work through or near the Monroe Park area fairly frequently, like two or three times a month, for years. People do drive too fast and drive distracted. I’ve seen it many times. However I’ve also witnessed students walking between cars right into traffic, wearing ear buds or looking at their phones while they do so. I’ve seen several near misses, either from driver or pedestrian inattention. I feel terrible for the student who got killed. I would love to see some speed bumps and other traffic calming items put in place. The area is lovely and vibrant due to the students. I just hate that it can be so dangerous as well.