Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jeb_hoge t1_j6okn65 wrote

We heard the same thing from Cumberland County's animal control when we adopted our hound from there. Dogs either get abandoned or shot. We're not sure what our girl's history was...there's a part of me that hopes she had a family and just got good and lost, but no one ever came looking for her either.

freetimerva t1_j6om8rl wrote

Thats wild. Some of my family is from Nelson. Damn near everyone has hunting dogs up there and never heard of that!

Seems like a major waste of resources considering puppies cost money.

WompWompIt t1_j6p11pv wrote

Not if you are letting them have puppies in that cage out back it doesn't. No vaccinations, parasite, deworming or heart worm protection.

jeb_hoge t1_j6on2j5 wrote

I know, I think it sounds crazy too, but I just remembered I also heard the same from a former director of SPCA Charlottesville-Albermale after we adopted.

DogVacuum t1_j6p61xo wrote

I adopted a Plott hound when living in Virginia. beautiful dog, couldn’t understand why he was available. The humane society said that in even slightly poorer areas, being abandoned is the best case scenario for hunting dogs, and that most of them just get shot.

It’s not a world I was familiar with, but I wound up with an amazing dog out of it.

robs_kabobs t1_j6pi43v wrote

Same with mine. He hates gunshot noises (or anything similar), tight spaces, and large vehicles. He was abandoned in Powhatan and when he was brought in he was completely emaciated.