Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

1151am t1_j59jp39 wrote

Alright those of you who moved from Buffalo, what do people in even colder climates do? I doubt someone in Buffalo just accepts the fact that their electric/power bill is 300-600 November-April?

Do they have different heating systems?

llamalena t1_j59tjrl wrote

In colder places people typically have oil or gas heat, which (at least in my experience) works out to be cheaper. In New England my highest winter heating bill over the past 4 years was around $230, whereas my electric for last month here was nearly $350 for about the same square footage; I'm even keeping it colder here than I was up north.

jantah t1_j5aosj2 wrote

Oil prices have gone up about 45% since last year. It's definitely not cheaper anymore

guiltyofnothing t1_j5a2rs5 wrote

Houses are better insulated. My MIL lives in upstate NY. Went to visit her last month. She lives in an old 2 br and I was expecting it to be drafty as hell but she’s got triple-glazed windows and something like R9000 batting in the walls.

TripawdCorgi t1_j59taw9 wrote

In Philly we had a furnace that got oil deliveries usually once a season. Big ass behemoth in the basement. Used to scare me as a kid. For cooling we had window/wall AC units because central air wasn't very common with old brick rowhomes.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j5awbtj wrote

often yeah they pay that, they either accept it or move.

we moved south

1151am t1_j5fbmnc wrote

Surely not many people can afford that, right? I mean, yes, there are some people who make good money, but you can't tell me someone who's making slightly more than minimum wage can afford a $500 electricity bill in addition to all other expenses?

I mean, we only had about 8 really cold days back go back and everyone's bill went from $75-$100 on average to about $300-400. Now imagine what would happen if we had those same cold days for 27 out of 30 days? That same bill would be $1,200.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j5khpt2 wrote

It really eats up people's free income. It's one of the big reasons people move south. Thousands of dollars every winter