Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Daemonrealm t1_j5aj2y2 wrote

I use 4 remote temp sensors in my home and found huge savings switching home mode (just downstairs temp control) and sleep mode (just my upstairs) in both heating and cooling.

The way it averages out temps when multiple remote temp sensors are used keeps my home the most even temp as well.

I also found out the thermostat was installed way way too close to the intake for my HVAC system. Just using a remote temp sensors saved a ton of overwork it was doing and short cycling that saved tons of $$$

Charlesinrichmond t1_j5aw8p1 wrote

installation near the intake/return is generally considered good. But more sensors better

Daemonrealm t1_j5b5oa2 wrote

You are correct. My home design however has a large (oversized for the home actually) system and the intake is in a small hallway near the front door (small amount of total air volume in that space).

When the system is on it pulls all the either heat or cold into that smaller hallway space which makes the thermostat on the wall miss read the rest of the house. Example. Temp gets push up or push down much more then the remaining of the house. This causes short cycling of the system as the air settles and the temp differential quickly changes. Kicking the system back on when it’s not needed for the rest of the home.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j5ban1h wrote

interesting, it usually avoids that issue. But if your system is oversized that would be a complete issue.

You might be able to adjust airflow down a bit. Just don't go too far or the coils will freeze

Daemonrealm t1_j5bqc1u wrote

True as well, my home has a giant 22 foot by ~18 foot window in it which makes it “unique” for hvac operations. Solar heating and cooling. Some drafting although the window is double sealed (a new window interior to it as it’s original steel and iron framed window from 1913, with all the original glass).

Looks great though and fills the home with a lot of light.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j5kig48 wrote

ah, one of those. You can model that. Though they make life interesting. Usually more 70s houses have that