Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

tarheel343 t1_j5k5i6h wrote

People have already given you good recommendations, but I just have a piece of advice.

If you do a couple sessions with someone and don’t feel like it’s a good fit, don’t be afraid to move on and try someone else. Therapy is very personal, and no one therapist’s approach will work for everyone.

Best of luck! You can do this!

shhimhuntingrabbits t1_j5js94w wrote

Richmond Creative Counseling has some good providers overall, and they list each person's specialties.

https://www.richmondcreativecounseling.com/

They do get busy though.

TripawdCorgi t1_j5k1szx wrote

Seconding them, I see someone there for an anxiety disorder and PTSD and it had been the best therapy experience I've had thus far. Don't be afraid to get on someone's wait-list. I wish you luck in your mental health journey.

eliz_banks t1_j5k232o wrote

3rd them. Been seeing some folks here for years. Love them. Even went back to them after I moved.

SmileyRylieBMX t1_j5kk0gc wrote

I'm glad that others have had really good experiences with RCC. I personally would never go back. I had a telehealth therapist who was obviously doing something else during all of our sessions. I would stop speaking to see how long it would take her to notice, and it was often several minutes.

shhimhuntingrabbits t1_j5ldoz9 wrote

I have had two solid long lasting therapist/psych relationships there, but then had a shitty encounter with one of the therapists when I went back. It can definitely be a crapshoot.

Cyberpunk4020 t1_j5k3x52 wrote

Psychology Today is how I found my current therapist. Really easy to use website, has filters for issues, insurance, lgbtq+, and more.

It took me way too long to even start looking because of my anxiety and this website made it so easy, lol kinda like online shopping for a therapist.

Great job taking this first step! It’s one of the hardest! Hope you find someone you can connect with.

WhataboutBarb t1_j5jxfyt wrote

At Discovery Counseling, there's Michelle Kempf who specializes in anxiety disorders. She uses Exposure Response Prevention (ERP) which can really help with anxiety triggers.

Silly_Willy51 t1_j5jsz4z wrote

Check out Resilience Counseling and Social Skills Center

gleepgloopgleepgloop t1_j5otwrl wrote

VCU Psychology Department still has an anxiety clinic I believe. You are seeing by a graduate student under supervision, but with that you get the latest treatments and payment is on a sliding scale.

JVorhees t1_j5jytb7 wrote

While you're looking for a therapist, your GP can likely prescribe something that will help in the meantime (if you have a GP).

nailpolishbonfire t1_j5k71l7 wrote

I don't have another doctor to recommend but I wanted to say best of luck! Last time I moved, I started with a few weeks of Better Help because it was just faster and easier than getting in person care. It was a bit more expensive though since they didn't take insurance. But it really helped just to talk to a pro weekly, while I was waiting to get in in-person. I really liked my therapist.

Tryharder3212 t1_j5jvh6t wrote

Check out thriveworks. They take my insurance and got me in touch with some therapists.

https://thriveworks.com/

KJ19912018 t1_j5m87es wrote

Definitely second this! I called last week and was able to get matched with a therapist that sounds like a good fit, and was able to make an appointment within the week. They were really helpful in searching for a therapist that met my needs which I had trouble doing on their website. Calling is harder but probably worth it if you can!

endrescs t1_j5k4xv0 wrote

Unique Holistic Care and Trinity Care in Chesterfield have both been good to me. Good luck in your searching 💖

squidsauce t1_j5mnbqh wrote

My friend called the national suicide hotline and they gave him low cost therapist recommendations

friecl t1_j5mrqb9 wrote

circle of wellness is great!

jtaulbee t1_j5qgth9 wrote

This isn't for a therapist in the area, but there are a lot of great resources on Larry Cohen's website (if you can get past the horrible color scheme).

https://socialanxietyhelp.com/