Submitted by dj1200techniques t3_10h3oqt in rva

I know there are smaller venues, but I'm not aware of any nightclubs like Glow DC, Marquee NY, Crobar Miami, Mayan LA etc? There have to be people here that love to go to techno parties right? Or maybe a latin night?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

theboyfromphl t1_j57dnja wrote

Richmond is definitely not a club/nightclub city.

AccidentallyTaschen t1_j56gw4l wrote

The main issue is Virginia has really archaic bar laws. Tobacco Company is probably best you can get here.

gleepgloopgleepgloop t1_j58ch83 wrote

I remember Have a Nice Day Cafe charged something like a $10 cover to get in. That cover charge went towards the buffet they had off in a corner. So that apparently covered the liquor license requirements.

dj1200techniques OP t1_j56hlol wrote

That's insane. I wasn't aware of the bar laws. So how do wineries get away with it? I've been to a couple in the area and I don't even remember seeing food on the menu.

Ms-Pamplemousse t1_j56io7h wrote

They passed special laws recently for breweries, which i believe Hardywood's founders were involved with, to put them on par with wineries. Because it's good for Virginia and nobody gets their knickers in a bunch about people drinking beer until 10 or 11.

AccidentallyTaschen t1_j56ij3u wrote

There are some agricultural loopholes wineries can take advantage of. Something about actually using the land of the establishment to grow crops allows them to operate differently. It was explained to me once but I can’t remember much of the details.

_MellowGold t1_j56azgm wrote

Locker Room RVA

gleepgloopgleepgloop t1_j584465 wrote

I mean, they play music. There's really nothing stopping people from dancing. Bring your own colored and flashing LED lights for a little extra pizzazz.

Oh_shit_dat_mee t1_j5744h5 wrote

Best bet for techno/house is the jungle room

Ill_Perception_4777 t1_j57sone wrote

Fallout in shockoe bottom

asweetusernameidea t1_j5a0nff wrote

Nottttttt quite. Local DJs occasionally play shows, but its nowhere near a nightclub. Though if electronica is what OP is looking for, Basic City, Canal Club also host events from time to time.

zorak_robert t1_j56q7uk wrote

I went to one of the places downtown once to just sit in the corner and drink and watch people have fun because I am a wallflower. I ordered chicken tenders because I'm 12 and the cook came out of the back and like, hesitantly handed me a small plastic basket with paper lining and some chicken and french fries. I didn't really think anything of it until I started eating and one of the chicken tenders was like, a shockingly different. Like they ran out and had to run to the gas station to buy more. I honestly think I saw him peering around the corner to see if I was going to eat it. I did, and was scared, but nothing bad happened that I know of.

Anyway it was late on a Saturday night and no one else was there. So I dunno if that is what you would consider fun.

Mikey6304 t1_j56rzm5 wrote

There is a punk bar in VA Beach that serves "food" in the form of having a waitress microwave canned sloppy joe and put it on a bun. Bars have to offer some form of cooked food and pay a fine if alcohol sales are over a certain percent of total sales. A handful will offer some trash that is not recommended for actual human consumption and just pay the fine.

GMUcovidta t1_j56zh2t wrote

You named some of the worst clubs in major cities- if you like those check out Therapy, if you don't like Therapy maybe check out Tobacco Company Club

WouldbeRVAtourguide t1_j56hr5w wrote

So the simple answer is you have to sell at least as much food as liquor in VA so everything is going to be a restaurant. There are some new hotels/hotel bars that might be doing cool things but I haven’t been to any so not sure if they tried to do a club vibe.

LharDrol t1_j56kr9t wrote

Latin Night? Sounds like a good time at Tropicabana!

Marino4K t1_j57c63n wrote

There’s basically little to no “traditional” nightlife in RVA. A bunch of mediocre breweries in my opinion, a few decent spots, and a bunch of just chill spots.

J_Beyonder t1_j56ri15 wrote

Is there even a place with a large dance floor?

gleepgloopgleepgloop t1_j585ydv wrote

I don't think there has been since Off theHookah closed in 2016. That could hold over 600 people.

That had the feel of big city nightclubs, although perhaps smaller in size.

https://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/off-the-hookah-will-close-in-july/Content?oid=2339196

sleevieb t1_j58dfti wrote

Aces just had boosie

Rip cyber 4 cafe

oneloverva t1_j59v45q wrote

Rvalution was cool when they did it years ago, now it’s Carmax lol