Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Stein_um_Stein t1_j751od6 wrote

I'm five shots in. I'm sure I'll eventually get COVID, but I'd rather get my natural boost after as much unnatural help as possible.

SteakandTrach t1_j75iq61 wrote

Also, why take a chance on getting long COVID if at all possible?

Stein_um_Stein t1_j76e2yl wrote

Would definitely not do it intentionally, just mean that it's somewhat inevitable as it spreads through the whole human race...

FraseraSpeciosa t1_j77b8es wrote

You are boosted, you do everything right, as long as you mask and avoid very crowded areas you are straight. I’ve been isolated since the beginning and it’s a little boring but I am still alive and healthy. Like you I have had all 5 vaccinations and I still wear a mask anytime I leave the house. It’s really something that good habits provided by experts actually work

smash8890 t1_j775jwv wrote

I caught Covid for the first time after 4 shots and all I had was a scratchy throat for a couple days. It’s probably way safer to catch it after all the vaccines

holaprobando123 t1_j757uct wrote

>I'm sure I'll eventually get COVID

Why?

−12

W0666007 t1_j75coia wrote

Bc it’s extraordinarily contagious and not going anywhere.

SteakandTrach t1_j75ivvx wrote

Fun fact: it appears Omicron was an evolved stain from the original and Delta that was MUCH more infective but a lot less pathogenic, which follows historic trends with other viruses. From an evolutionary standpoint, viruses don’t “want” to kill us, they want us alive and transmitting virus. So evolution tends to select for viruses that cause less harm. Will that happen in 4 years, 40 years, or 400 years? No one knows.

We already have 4 coronaviruses that are just the common cold because they have fine-tuned themselves to circulate among us without causing us much harm. COVID will likely be the 5th, it’s a question of “when”.

Frosti11icus t1_j766r3o wrote

Ya...those coronaviruses became "colds" over the course of millennia...

SteakandTrach t1_j77j6oo wrote

I don’t think anyone really knows when they did this. Could have been millennia, could have been the 1600s. That’s paraphrasing the virologist that gave a CME lecture on COVID I attended 2 days ago.

Frosti11icus t1_j77sx74 wrote

Well pretty safe to say it wouldn’t be in our lifetimes if we just wait for it.

Shokoyo t1_j76t7ao wrote

> From an evolutionary standpoint, viruses don’t “want” to kill us, they want us alive and transmitting virus.

From an evolutionary standpoint, that only matters if a) mortality is generally high and b) people die before transmitting the virus. Both is not the case with COVID

holaprobando123 t1_j75ma8u wrote

I don't hear of it anymore in my country. It's not like we're in the height of the pandemic anymore.

−14

fafarex t1_j75xbex wrote

What you hear of it indicates only that media have moved on, not that the virus has.

You need to look the actual data yourself.

Stein_um_Stein t1_j75843q wrote

Almost everyone i know has had it. Only a handful in my family actually, but almost all of my coworkers. Seems inevitable.

ShelZuuz t1_j76jeff wrote

Me, who always wear a mask around coworkers: “I’ve never had COVID”

“How is that possible??”

“I always wear a mask”

“That’s dumb. A mask isn’t going to help you. You will get it eventually. I’ve had COVID 4 times.”

“Do you wear a mask?”

“No”