Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Preemptively_Extinct t1_j92kr01 wrote

It's been tried with great success. Until parents found out. Usually the christians. They've gotten various programs shut down multiple times in multiple locations. Chicago, Georgia, Australia.

Purple_Passion000 t1_j92pxrc wrote

A Zen practioner I knew would travel 2 hours a couple of times a week on her own dime to teach mediation to prisoners at a state prison. This was entirely selfless to help prisoners keep calm and also (hopefully) control outbursts.

Even though prisoners wanted the opportunity it took her a very long time of advocating to do this. The Christian chaplain and warden didn't want Buddhist influence in the prison.

AzureDreamer t1_j93sodz wrote

Ah yes those dastardly Zen Buddhists with their ad vocations of peace and tranquility. We have to put an end to these fire brands telling prisoners to checks notes see others as important as onesself.

OralCulture t1_j95ct6k wrote

Historically Buddhists have been more in the armed revolt/suppression line.

AzureDreamer t1_j95zhed wrote

The history of Buddhism is interesting for sure. I am not sure exactly what you mean by armed revolt/suppresion line but If you mean what I think you mean philosophically it teaches non violence.

There is good evidence that civil change requires either a threat or undercurrent of violence or even a boiling over of such violence. Interesting topic but so beyond me I can't weigh in.

There are often criticisms of Buddhists and I am far from a historian on the topic. I would be happy to learn more.

Buddhism is an beast that has splintered a thousand times many of its principles are maleable, thats how you get some Buddhists staring at a wall for hours a day, and some discussing chakra points and others offering services where they recite prayer and many many other differences. To what degree do we hold Jews accountable for the abuses of the latter day saints.

Anyway you are right there is no value in idolizing anyone but on the other hand no group of people has ever been free from extreme cruelty.

You can teach meditation without the philosophy, the research is in my opinion less than robust as to how it effects the mediator, but it is very evident that a regular meditation routine has meaningful effects on physiology. I think of it as similar to having a daily reading habit or journaling.

uncadul t1_j9629ry wrote

Japan China Mongolia Myanmar Cambodia Vietnam Thailand

I'm glad all of those traditionally Buddhist societies are completely peaceful and have never engaged in conflict or violence

AzureDreamer t1_j9659jl wrote

Could you more helpfully point to these conflicts because the entire history of Japan, China, mongolia, myanmar, cambodia, vietnam, and Thailand is a lot to sort through.

Thanks in advance.

uncadul t1_j99pja5 wrote

Clearly you do not need to review (or ask me to review for you) the entire histories of the listed countries to find examples of violence conducted by Buddhist people, similar to the kinds of violence conducted by all kinds of people irrespective of religion or philosophy.

StevenTM t1_j96hsmz wrote

And, as we all know, these countries are presently (and have been historically) ruled exclusively by Buddhist monks, not power tripping sociopaths.

AzureDreamer t1_j987eby wrote

Apologies if I seem glib I am likely just less well read then you in eastern history, American you know.

AthKaElGal t1_j93tubp wrote

the meditation can be introduced as Ignatius' spiritual exercises. Jesuits have long been doing this.

ProfessorPetrus t1_j94xxeu wrote

Out of all the minds to help she chose prisoners. That's so nice of her.