Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UnkleRinkus t1_j9kqxuh wrote

In US legal stores, you still have to use cash to purchase, as cannabis businesses are locked out of banking. Assuming consumption is unchanged, this is likely mostly due to decreasing prices. As legalization proceeds, the risk premium is coming out of cannabis prices, even for black market providers, who have to compete with the legal sources. Ounces that you might have paid $200 for ten years ago on the black market are now $60-100 in the stores.

NuggetsBonesJones t1_j9ku93b wrote

In North Carolina, not a legal state, stores are selling weed as THCA hemp. The 2018 farm bill legalized hemp products with less than .3% delta 9 THC. Weed usually has about 1-3 % delta 9 but that isn't really what's getting you high. Marijuana has high levels of THCA which turns into delta 9 when burned and that is what is getting you high. So growers have bred plants with high thcA and low delta 9. It is the greatest loophole ever. I buy real weed from the store with my credit card in North Carolina.

creamonbretonbussy t1_j9kvplr wrote

I've used medical dispensaries in FL and medical/recreational dispensaries in NJ. Never had an issue paying with my debit card.

UnkleRinkus t1_j9l6ny0 wrote

Cash only in Oregon and Washington.

VegaSpec t1_j9ni12i wrote

Cash only here in Colorado too. They always have an ATM in the building but you have to hand over cash.

I've been to one where you can pay with a card by handing them the card, but it will still be run as an ATM transaction. They have you enter your PIN on a PIN pad, round it up to the nearest $20, and give you change in cash even though you paid with a card. And there's still ATM fees. It was a weird round-about way of letting customers pay with a card while getting around the banking ban.

Far more often it's just an ordinary ATM sitting there.

1CoolSPEDTeacher t1_j9o6mf5 wrote

Was able to use debit in Illinois but Michigan ones seem to be cash only.

RiskHour2275 t1_j9mgxte wrote

Not in California. Haven in downtown LB accepts credit and debit.