Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rdtthoughtpolice t1_j9yb10v wrote

You only have to spend 5 minutes with your window down in peak hour traffic to see that cars are the immediate problem for those of us who live in cities. No one is burning coal within 100km of my house but every day I am exposed to fumes from cars. It's not just C02 by a long shot either. Australia has some of the worst emissions standards so we are getting dumped with all the dirtiest burning cars, not to mention all the old cars on the road here that you see just billowing black smoke. The best thing for air quality here would be to replace as many of these as possible with electric cars.

Majbo t1_j9yc5q5 wrote

Great in theory, but there is only so much lithium. There is only ~50M tons of lithium somewhat easily available. That is not enough to replace all cars. Maybe enough for 40% of all cars. Just cars. And that is if we put all lithium into cars. We still need it for other kinds of power storage and for other industries.

We need new tech before we can even discuss it as an option.

rdtthoughtpolice t1_j9ycxma wrote

Australia has enough lithium to replace all our cars if we would actually manufacture batteries and cars ourselves instead of just exporting raw material so we can buy back finished products at exorbitant rates, but in principle I agree with you, except again this is a question of political will and our politicians are all just greedy corporate schills. There's tonnes of potential in graphene and sodium batteries, we just aren't putting in the effort.

Majbo t1_j9yd8vu wrote

I agree that on a country scale, Australia could do it. It is a lithium rich country. On a world wide scale, we need new tech. And I'm optimistic that in 10-15 years there won't be anything holding us back on electrifying transportation except for policy making and greed.