Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DCGreatDane t1_ja0mr55 wrote

Hmm they didn’t mention co2 acidification of the water. Some places have so much acidification that crustaceans can’t develop their shells.

AdolescenceOfP1 t1_ja3a8zz wrote

Yes, and that's a particularly complicated equation. (Water absorption of CO2 decreases with an increase in water temperature.)

But that doesn't in any way invalidate what happens, so be wary of conservative arguments only quoting part of the equation.

CO2 and Ocean Acidification: Causes, Impacts, Solutions

DCGreatDane t1_ja3ji83 wrote

Reminds me of a project my old environmental science professors work. His team built solar powered platforms that oxygenated dead lakes and brought fish populations back. Though it didn’t remove the co2 it was amazing for late 90s work.

Wagamaga OP t1_ja02sbo wrote

Curtin University researchers believe rising sea temperatures are to blame for the plummeting number of invertebrates such as molluscs and sea urchins at Rottnest Island off Western Australia, with some species having declined by up to 90 per cent between 2007 and 2021.

Lead author Adjunct Professor Fred Wells, from Curtin’s School of Molecular and Life Sciences, said the west end of Rottnest Island had suffered a “catastrophic decline” in biodiversity.

“Since 1982, we have monitored biodiversity of marine molluscs and echinoderms including sea snails, clams, starfish and sea urchins on rocky reefs at Rottnest Island, Cottesloe, Trigg Point and Waterman,” Professor Wells said.

“Despite being sanctuary zones with the highest level of protection from human activities, we found that Radar Reef and Cape Vlamingh at Rottnest Island had suffered a catastrophic decline in biodiversity between 2007 and 2021, likely due to exposure to the warm Leeuwin Current.

“By contrast, the metropolitan coastline, which is not under the influence of the Leeuwin Current, was found to have well-preserved biodiversity and species richness.

“Overall, at the west end of Rottnest Island, the rocky reefs are badly depleted with a decline of 90 percent or more in biodiversity and density of molluscs.”

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2023.1075228/full

The_Original_Gronkie t1_ja1fkta wrote

I'm glad I snorkeled the Carribean back in the late 80s, early 90s. I think I saw it before it all goes dead. Such a shame, it was so beautiful back then.

Gemini884 t1_ja2ov03 wrote

But that is not anywhere near the area discussed in the article?

The_Original_Gronkie t1_ja3v3fj wrote

Sea life is collapsing everywhere. For instance, over the last decade or so, invasive lionfish have exploded in the waters between Florida and the Bahamas, throwing the animal balance way out of whack. I haven't been back to the Caribbean in a long time, but I'm sure it's feeling the negative affects as well.

Gemini884 t1_ja4xz9e wrote

Information on marine biomass decline from recent ipcc report: "Global models also project a loss in marine biomass (the total weight of all animal and plant life in the ocean) of around -6% (±4%) under SSP1-2.6 by 2080-99, relative to 1995-2014. Under SSP5-8.5, this rises to a -16% (±9%) decline. In both cases, there is “significant regional variation” in both the magnitude of the change and the associated uncertainties, the report says." phytoplankton in particular is projected to decline by ~10% in worst-case emissions scenario, zooplankton- by 15%.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth-qa-the-ipccs-sixth-assessment-on-how-climate-change-impacts-the-world/#oceanshttps://

www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01173-9/figures/3

yogfthagen t1_ja2rgk5 wrote

I thought there was a direct correlation between invertebrates and rising pH levels from rising CO2 levels

AutoModerator t1_ja02nl0 wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

KrangQQ t1_ja04ppk wrote

DOI: 10.3389/fmars.2023.1075228

HelpOtherPeople t1_ja1xmj3 wrote

In California, we need the urchins to die off, they’re eating the kelp. :( The starfish were keeping them in check but there was a wasting disease that decimated their populations and now the urchins are taking over.

v3nerable t1_ja29emc wrote

Huh, never thought I'd see rotto get mentioned on r/science