Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AllanfromWales1 t1_jat1vd5 wrote

Categorising entire musical genres by a single piece of music is simplistic at best.

doctorintrainin t1_jatc98n wrote

The main finding: "HeavyM induced the greatest changes in brain responses, whereas ClassM showed a tendency to reduce brain activity. "

ReceptionDry2755 t1_javg9dr wrote

Was there any attempt to learn the musical preferences of the subjects prior to the study? Metal is an exceedingly broad genre and many of its musicians were at some point classical. They made the switch because metal is far more interesting and diverse, and gives them opportunities to demonstrate virtuosic playing in ways that classical can no longer.

The study is basically interesting but appears not to have really understood the nature of musical stimulus.

ubermeisters t1_jax1qlr wrote

honestly this is an extremely important point... there's just a vast gamut of metal out there, and there's a big difference between hardcore thrash metal and post-apocalyptic ambient metal etc etc

JamesTWood t1_jaxn0o6 wrote

and "classical" is similarly diverse from Nachtmusik to 1812 overture to Carmina Burana there's a huge range of musical stimuli. heck Haydn's Surprise Symphony was written to prevent people from relaxing!

MavisBeaconSexTape t1_jat7hxi wrote

I love metal, I need to get a medical alert bracelet that says to only play death metal if I ever fall into a coma

ubermeisters t1_jax1kjf wrote

"the patient flat lined doctor, his chart only says"

> In case of emergency, play Dethklok

AutoModerator t1_jasyl80 wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.