Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

marketrent OP t1_jaxj288 wrote

Findings in title quoted from linked^1 and hyperlinked^2 content:

From the linked summary^1 by Jennifer Ouellette:

>In 2016, scientists using muon imaging picked up signals indicating a hidden corridor behind the famous chevron blocks on the north face of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.

>The following year, the same team detected a mysterious void in another area of the pyramid, believing it could be a hidden chamber.

>Two independent teams of researchers, using two different muon imaging methods, have now successfully mapped out the corridor for the first time, according to a new paper published in the journal Nature Communications.

>As we’ve reported previously, there is a long history of using muons to image archaeological structures, a process made easier because cosmic rays provide a steady supply of these particles.

> 

>For this latest work, one team used muon radiography to map the shape and location of the secret corridor, placing detectors at various points around the pyramid.

>Specifically, they used nuclear emulsion films (supplied by colleagues at Nagoya University in Japan), which can detect particles without an electric power supply.

>A second team deployed three gaseous detectors, or muon telescopes, outside the pyramid, supplied by the Centre for Extragalactic Astronomy (CEA) at Durham University in the UK.

>The results of the two independent analyses confirmed the presence of a corridor-like void.

>The corridor is about 9 meters long (29.5 feet), with a transverse section of 2×2 meters (6.5×6.5 feet), and most likely slopes upward, although where it leads remains a mystery.

From the research article:^2

>In this paper, we report on the first precise analysis of the void found with cosmic-ray muon radiography behind the North Face Chevron and named the ScanPyramids North Face Corridor (NFC).

^1 Scientists have mapped a secret hidden corridor in Great Pyramid of Giza, Jennifer Ouellette for Condé Nast’s Ars Technica, 3 Mar. 2023, https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/03/scientists-have-mapped-a-secret-hidden-corridor-in-great-pyramid-of-giza/

^2 Procureur, S., Morishima, K., Kuno, M. et al. Precise characterization of a corridor-shaped structure in Khufu’s Pyramid by observation of cosmic-ray muons. Nature Communications 14, 1144 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-36351-0

pewpewbrrrrrrt t1_jaypb05 wrote

Dam, I read the whole article and here you edited all the filler out.

marketrent OP t1_jaz0vao wrote

>pewpewbrrrrrrt

>Dam, I read the whole article and here you edited all the filler out.

‘Tis an excerpt, to encourage reading the linked work by Jennifer Ouellette.

bigquinnyg13 t1_jb1ja69 wrote

You may be discouraging the scrollers brother. Excerpts are Redditors gift to earth as they’re concerned.

Noobing4fun t1_jb0awqh wrote

Forgive my ignorance, but if hidden corridors were discovered as far back as 2016, why aren't they fully explored as yet? I would have thought every nook and cranny of all pyramids would have been fully gone over a long time ago.

armchairepicure t1_jb0fmpp wrote

The coverage I read (National Geographic) described these voids as structural only and without any speculation that they might be hidden chambers.

If that’s the case, it comes as no surprise that they haven’t been explored. No one wants to make a Pyramid tumble down to check out what is basically a structural feature.

rutefoot t1_jb0o3pb wrote

They use endoscopic cameras, not pull out the bottom blocks like a game of Jenga

armchairepicure t1_jb0pe7e wrote

The article discussed at length that no one understood how the voids would improve structural engineering. I would hazard that they want to think about that more before doing anything.

I’d also imagine that they’d need approval from the Egyptian government and I would also hazard those approvals might not be forthcoming without an abundance of evidence that any sort of exploration would have zero affect on the structure’s integrity:

ASteelDrivingMan t1_jb0f7kf wrote

It’s probably behind several dozen feet of granite blocks. Getting there would require (carefully) drilling through them to get there.

FieryDoormouse t1_jb0iy5g wrote

This is invaluable, thank you

Is it possible there’s lingering resentment or even distrust over

• the Temple of Dendur (in NYC, looks smashing, the Met. Museum of Art built a special all glass mega-atrium for it, too),
  • Tut’s Definitely Only Borrowed stuff
  • everything in the Egyptology wing?