Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

D74248 t1_jct7le4 wrote

You can find studies that go either way, but the underlying fact is that girl's high school soccer is clearly right up there with high school football. It is a vicious sport, I suspect because of ex-jock fathers pushing their daughters to be aggressive.

Source: Father whose daughter had 2 serious concussions playing high school soccer. I wish that I knew then what I know now. It is not a nice, safe sport.

Smacks860 t1_jct9vtl wrote

Not trying to be condescending here, but there is a ton of correlation bias going on on your part. I’m not saying soccer isn’t “rough” (I played it my whole life so I do have some anecdotal understanding), but to interpret whatever data you are seeing as - HS girls soccer is rougher/more concussions/etc. than HS football is a huge error (and honestly a good example of how wrongly people interpreted data on a day to day basis for many important topics). There are many variables in play here. For example, it is extremely likely that HS girls tend to report injuries (then leading to diagnoses) at a much higher rate than HS boys / football players. Also, a concussion-causing incident is much more obvious (to a coach / parent / viewer) in soccer than it is in football, again leading to more reporting/diagnoses. Further - why do you think HS girls soccer shows a higher concussion rate than boys HS soccer (I’m assuming that is true, based on whatever reports you are seeing and the fact that you specifically stated “girls HS soccer” vs just “HS soccer”)? It’s the same sport, same rules, although boys soccer is played at a much faster pace (if anything should correlate to higher concussions in boys HS soccer). The answer is because again - statistics don’t always tell the full story.

D74248 t1_jctdgad wrote

The reason boy's soccer reports less injuries is obvious to anyone who has had both boys and girls in high school sports. Football is the prime sport for boys, soccer is the prime sport for girls.

You can google scholar studies yourself. It is unfortunate that you feel so threatened by women.

−3

uberneoconcert t1_jcunf9s wrote

Yes this should be very obvious. I was a D1 scholarship athlete and there was no way I was telling anyone when I got a concussion in high school after they made it clear what the risks were, including field removal.

I got a neurologist and am on multiple migraine medications in my late 30s.

SnooPuppers1978 t1_jcvucab wrote

> I was a D1 scholarship athlete and there was no way I was telling anyone when I got a concussion in high school after they made it clear what the risks were, including field removal.

For clarification, I don't know anything about US and American Football, you did not tell because it would have hindered your career or you made a typo here and you meant you would definitely because of the health risks?

When did your neuro issues first appear and how?