Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

QuickComplaint9 t1_itqhgkn wrote

None of those activities sound appealing to me except museums. And how often do you realistically visit a museum? Maybe once every three years?

Also have you been to a rural area? Not sure what you consider "ethnic food" but most rural areas in the US have authentic Mexican food at the very least. Is that not "exotic" enough for you?

−5

dirtyploy t1_itql2fq wrote

Indian, Korean, Thai, I could name a ton I wish was in my area.

Having a single Mexican restaurant isn't "exotic." Just cuz it is authentic doesn't mean they do a good job at it...

Turdulator t1_itqnzto wrote

Dining options are by far the worst part of rural living (I’ve done both)…. In a decent city you can have Thai for lunch and Ethiopian for dinner, then the next day Mexican and Japanese, then Russian and Peruvian… then Vietnamese and Brazilian ….. then Italian and Hawaiian ….. and that’s just one work week, you can do a whole different set of options the following week. In a small rural town there’s like 3-4 sit down restaurants total, and you just have to rotate those three constantly or drive an hour to the next town over for a slightly different group of 3-4 sit down spots.

For example, today on my lunch break I have eight different sit down restaurants to choose from that I can walk to from my office (Japanese sushi, thai, middle eastern, deli sandwiches, Japanese Ramen, Chinese, Mexican, Italian)…. And that’s close enough to walk there, eat, and come back all within an hour break….. if I’m willing to drive that number becomes like 30+ options. That’s just impossible anywhere rural.

cst-rdt t1_itqkdn4 wrote

> None of those activities sound appealing to me except museums.

You may not like those things, but many other people do.

> And how often do you realistically visit a museum? Maybe once every three years?

I go to a museum at least once a month, though I do travel extensively so I have more incentive to do so.

> most rural areas in the US have authentic Mexican food at the very least

As a person who has spent a substantial amount of time in both Mexico and rural areas of the United States, I think you and I may have different definitions of "authentic."