Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ked_man t1_iu2o582 wrote

Exactly. Kinda hard to buy booze underage since all of it is at regulated businesses that check ID. Being illegal, yet readily available increases access. Drug dealers are already breaking the law by selling it, so you think any of them care the age of their buyer?

KallistiEngel t1_iu2y7ur wrote

Speaking from experience, when I was underage we could often find someone who would buy us booze. But it was still much easier to buy weed even though it wasn't legal.

OperationMobocracy t1_iu3voyi wrote

When I was in high school the demand for alcohol was broader than the demand for cannabis -- ie, more students were interested or willing to drink than they were interested in smoking pot.

What's curious, though, is that there wasn't really a black market for booze. As in, someone of legal age who bought booze specifically to sell it to underage high school kids. You can almost imagine some person with a couple of cases of half-pint vodka bottles and cases of beer who sells them off to high school kids, either direct consumers or as a wholesaler to some enterprising high school student.

Everyone seemed to have some inconsistent access to someone of age who would buy booze, but it was really inconsistent as I remember it. You mostly couldn't call them up and say you needed a hookup tonight. I even remember a couple of times where my circle of friends went through the motions trying but getting turned down by everyone.