Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ggrieves t1_is0d7uf wrote

When Hilary got sick and fell that had an outsized effect on her campaign too.

kerred t1_is0ep1t wrote

In the game 1960 Making of a President i recall it mentioning Nixon's injury had swayed some votes.

But Nixon had said he would visit all 50 states if I recall that correctly too, which he wasn't able to do.

I guess the first big televised debate is what did him in, sadly not because of what he said but just because of how he looked.

lavenderjellyfish t1_is0rycf wrote

I remember being a little shocked at people downplaying to outright denying she was unwell for political purposes.

Like guys this is a woman in her sixties campaigning very strenuously, it just looked silly to have people accusing others of being conspiracy theorists to suggest it was taking a physical toll.

Verbicide t1_is13670 wrote

But that’s revisionist history. “Taking a physical toll” is different from “one foot away from dying” which is what some people were making it out to be. I can’t help but notice we are 6 years out from that and she’s still alive, so perhaps people can admit now how over played that was.

ADDeviant-again t1_is1paqe wrote

Well, she had something, like the flu(?) at the time. It was weird nobody could just say she had the flu.

When I have an actual influenza A, I'm useless for at least 4-5 days. I don't hold that against anybody.

CrocCapital t1_is1hm1z wrote

She passed out and dropped like a pound of rocks and was thrown in a van. It didn't really look great.

Hindsight is 20/20. 6 Years later and shes still strutting her stuff and talking to french clowns, having fun and being proven right every day. But she did not appear to be healthy and the media and her campaign didn't do a great job addressing what was happening. That's not a revisionist take.

−9

SueSudio t1_is137hn wrote

This is some serious revisionist history. People were claiming everything from MS, to a stroke, to the fact that she was on her deathbed.

There was absolutely a cornucopia of conspiracy theories.

Kienn12 t1_is3j8ce wrote

You’re calling it a fact that she was on her deathbed…

−6

SueSudio t1_is3mi9i wrote

No I'm not, but English is tough so I understand your confusion.