Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AtomicPickles92 t1_iu4viec wrote

There seems to be an increasing gap between what scientists expect/recommend vs what is possible considering the reality of life as we know it.

I am an everyday person, and it’s to the point that I feel like it’s creating a class division.

Like “we recommend breast feeding for the first 2 years of the child’s life. “

Someone who has money could make that happen. Otherwise, there’s no way in hell.

I’d really enjoy it more if researchers realized what kind of life the disadvantaged live. They live such a different life that they are creating tests and data that is completely unattainable for most of the population.

Masark t1_iu6ge1k wrote

>I am an everyday person, and it’s to the point that I feel like it’s creating a class division.

Friedrich Engels would like to join the conversation.

This is basically a reduced form of social murder. "Social battery", perhaps.

DanYHKim t1_iu5iwss wrote

This is an important point. Thanks.

I've lived a mostly middle-class life, and were out not for volunteer work I would have no idea about the realities of poverty. It's like a different world.

I'm reminded of "Snowpiercer" sometimes.

Zippy129 t1_iu5k5v3 wrote

Been feeling this a lot lately. I thought it was maybe just me getting older and more cynical, but a lot of studies these days do seem to suffer from biased, or overall thoughtless experimental design. Even many of the questions as a whole that seem to get funded feel like they lack empathy, or that their answers are obvious or trivial. There’s definitely a dangerous counterculture against science these days that doesn’t need any further feeding, but also scientists don’t seem to be doing their fields a ton of favors.

dizzymorningdragon t1_iu5opqf wrote

Scientists don't get to choose which research gets grant money. Don't go judging them for trying to make a living too - and if you think researchers are making bank either, you'd be mistaken.

Zippy129 t1_iu70uk2 wrote

More criticizing their recent work than judging, and I definitely understand that the processes behind funding and grants have more than their fair share of blame here.