Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

eniteris t1_isflmvd wrote

There's another species of eel in Britain, but yes, jellied eels are mostly made from silver eels, and they're critically endangered.

The European Eel/glass eel/yellow eel/silver eel migrates between fresh and saltwater.

Ferengi_Earwax t1_isfm66j wrote

Thanks. That's unfortunate they are endangered. I remember time team had some eel fisherman go about and demonstrate how they use to catch them. I think I remember them saying how people of the fens had a specific culture and that after most of the fens were drained, their culture and eel fishing mostly died out. There is also the story of king charles and the feather. Supposedly people of the fens had a tradition where if you presented a fen man a goose feather( I think) they would guide you, feed you, and ferry you to safety without questions.

Ferengi_Earwax t1_isfm6xc wrote

Thanks. That's unfortunate they are endangered. I remember time team had some eel fisherman go about and demonstrate how they use to catch them. I think I remember them saying how people of the fens had a specific culture and that after most of the fens were drained, their culture and eel fishing mostly died out. There is also the story of king charles and the feather. Supposedly people of the fens had a tradition where if you presented a fen man a split goose feather( I think) they would guide you, feed you, and ferry you to safety without questions. https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Split-Goosefeather/