Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Detectorbloke t1_ixqhihs wrote

>this year when measured the reef is the biggest it's been since they started measuring.

Wasn't there a mass bleaching event just this year? You make it sound like the bleaching suddenly stopped.

Richcranium1972 t1_ixre7rq wrote

The study showed that the reef is its healthiest state in decades. Part of a normal cycle over centuries.

Detectorbloke t1_ixregmj wrote

>a normal cycle

Now that's something I haven't heard in my lifetime.

Richcranium1972 t1_ixs5130 wrote

I believe it’s actually the 6th version of the reef at present.

TickTockPick t1_ixqvf2v wrote

Highest Great Barrier Reef coral cover in 36 years

​

This after being told by scientists that we wouldn't have barrier reefs soon^(tm).

The Great Barrier Reef is at a critical tipping point and could disappear by 2050

​

We really need to tone down the alarmism as it really doesn't help.

−3

RAPanoia t1_ixqxq44 wrote

"While the recovery is undoubtedly good news, AIMS remains cautious about the future as increasingly warmer waters create the potential for further mass bleaching events to occur. A mass bleaching event earlier in 2022 was the fourth recorded in just seven years, and the sixth since 1998."

TickTockPick t1_ixr3jt2 wrote

Yep. And news sites need to report that instead of "There could be no more reefs by 2050" bs. The headlines are pure clickbait these days.

−5

bfnrowifn t1_ixrdg82 wrote

One good year doesn’t negate the trend. You can’t look at one instance of a specific event and claim that all other observations and data analysed was wrong.

In the same vein, you can’t say the average temperature isn’t rising if 2022s average temp was lower than the average temp of any previous year when the average temp of every year up till now has been consistently increasing. One data point isn’t enough to draw any meaningful conclusion from.

Detectorbloke t1_ixre71q wrote

>being told by scientists

which ones?

But thanks for sharing that article. It does mention the 2022 event I meant quite a lot, but I want aware of such a big recovery. Seems to be a very dynamic system.