Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KittenKoder t1_ivqjt33 wrote

14% seems a bit high too. I wonder if they filtered out for only necessary jobs it might be a lot lower.

−4

grahag t1_ivqromc wrote

Who determines necessary jobs? I'm pretty sure that something that subjective is hard to measure.

Jobs that are in the pipe for automation to replace 80% of what they do include Architects, Lawyers, Writers, Teachers, and Doctors...

It's likely that I won't be replaced by automation any time soon, likely until I retire, BUT, I can see automation reducing my workload on all kinds of things from account creation, to ticket entry, and troubleshooting. I fix things, but I don't know if I'll always be needed to do that.

And when robots with good vision, dexterity, and mobility actually come into the workplace, it's likely I won't be needed for hardly any of what I do now.

KittenKoder t1_ivqz5x2 wrote

"Will people suffer if your job was not filled?" Pretty objective.

−8

myusernamehere1 t1_ivr4zn8 wrote

Suffering is subjective. Someone might claim to suffer if there was nobody to take their order at Mcdonalds, and its not clear that you would label such a job as "necessary."

KittenKoder t1_ivr61s2 wrote

People who work fast food provide a much more valuable service than those who work in the office.

−7

myusernamehere1 t1_ivrdr0q wrote

Like the corporate offices who manage fast food chains for example? Which office jobs in particular do you think are not valuable?