Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_ixjpnwn wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

kavien t1_ixjtfip wrote

So dolphins are taking advantage of inept fishermen stealing their food? I am not a Miami fan, but GO DOLPHINS!

sanjsrik t1_ixjvmr4 wrote

Have they tried talking to the dolphins? They are actually intelligent.Habe they tried sharing the catch with the dolphins such as secondary catch and release of fish while keeping the bulk?

egregiouscodswallop t1_ixjz7ji wrote

"What? Our fishing industry is harming the ocean? Cover the nets in hot sauce to irritate and hurt the bigger animals!"

But for real, is it good sauce? Have you considered dolphins may be used to ocean trash and spicy food by now? Maybe try something spicier!

But then here I am saying, "What? Our net-poison is too weak for dolphins? Make it stronger!"

egregiouscodswallop t1_ixjzf42 wrote

And we're seasoning it for them!

But for real, I think the main concern is catching dolphins which is probably unlawful and comes with a ton of paperwork and maybe even a side of guilt. I figured the hot sauce was to ward them away to avoid an illegal catch.

egregiouscodswallop t1_ixjzl5j wrote

Laughed at today, lauded in the future.

I hope this becomes the common-sense solution to so many animal problems and that people see your comment in the future and exclaim, "See! There were smart ones back then too!"

imlosingsleep t1_ixka2oe wrote

I know that many birds don't experience spiciness. They eat chili peppers and that is generally how pepper plants get spread around rather than pollination. Is it possible that dolphins don't react to spicy food because nothing in the ocean is naturally spicy?

MeatEatersAreStupid t1_ixkdgah wrote

Or you know, instead of dumping tons of hot sauce in the ocean, we could ban all commercial fishing.

AnybodyZ t1_ixkpw9r wrote

So long, and thanks for all the chilli

crystlerjean t1_ixl2qdz wrote

Fisherman used Hot Sauce!

It's not very effective...

Dolphin used Plunder!

It's super effective!

slicedcorn t1_ixlb0nq wrote

NOAA is actually pretty damn serious about the fishery regulations here in the US. All private charters and commercial boats are required to record everything they catch, and even what happened to it after it was caught, released or kept. You’re making the assumptions and lies here.

Chummy9 t1_ixmcsuq wrote

Or maybe leave them alone. Go vegan and don’t support the animal industries

ledgernoob t1_ixmjx4b wrote

>rather than pollination

Pollination is the transfer of pollen to stigma. Pepper plants also undergo pollination. The birds help in seed dispersal, they are not a replacement for pollination.

Black_RL t1_ixnwzer wrote

What? This is funny! x)

savvysearch t1_ixsibkk wrote

The hot sauce just washes away in the ocean.