Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

agumonkey t1_iwo0p6l wrote

I think they describe a different emotional state. As a kid I was fascinated by fire, and was curious to see how things would interact with it (orange peel for instance).. I think this is the kind of overly curious trait they're after.

jordimercadering t1_iwodjaw wrote

Curiosity might be an ingredient but my uninformed opinion is that it's more related to the power to control a destructive force. Somehow it is natural or evolutive to know that something that is very harmful is not hurting you at all. At some point we learn that harm to others ends up in harm to you through more complex patterns. We only resort to harm others to obtain something in life threatening circumstances or when the person lacks this bit in their mind (a psychopath). A fireplace is the least destructive fire. Completely different emotion vs. seeing someone else's house burn, seeing something loved be destroyed.

agumonkey t1_iwpisdc wrote

Very sensible analysis. How I saw what Chad_richard said would tap more into simpler senses: sight and temperature.. a dancing glow of light that keeps you warm is something your brain will like to stare at.