Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TorsionDifferential t1_iyzoczl wrote

The conclusion, per the article, is a hilarious stretch from the study, but I guess just saying "At last we have an idea of how to make female fruit flies live longer!" wouldn't get much attention.

Sex type is so often a factor in the effectiveness of many kinds of drugs that, you know, yeah, but anyway.

AutoModerator t1_iyzjc2q wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

frstyle34 t1_iyzkxka wrote

So to prevent aging… Sex?

HappyBavarian t1_iz0d3q4 wrote

Rapamycin is an antibiotic, which cannot be used in humans because it is also a potent immunosuppressive.

Damerman t1_iz0vy8a wrote

This is absolutely false. What the hell are you talking about?

theRedditUser31415 t1_iz1b2of wrote

I guess they’re talking about this? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4801794/#:~:text=Rapamycin%20mediates%20immunosuppressive%20effects%20through,thereby%20blocking%20proliferation%5B33%5D. Rapamyacin has potent immunosuppressive effects.

And according to this https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/rapamycin#:~:text=Rapamycin%20blocks%20certain%20white%20blood,of%20serine%2Fthreonine%20kinase%20inhibitor, rapamycin is classified as an antibiotic.

However they’re definitely wrong on the human part as it is already used in humans for multiple purposes, like organ transplants.

HappyBavarian t1_iz1hcq2 wrote

Rapamycin was initially developed as an antibiotic. The immunosuppressant properties have been discovered afterwards. Hence it was taken off the market. It made it's come-back some time ago for OT patients. Maybe I should have formulated this clearer in order not to confuse people unfamiliar with the substance.

I know that it is used in OT recipients, because I have been prescribing during my work.

I would rather not see it as a potential anti-aging drug because of its immunosuppressant properties and possible fatal side effects due to infection in an immunocompromised state.

Thanks for your response and the links.

Souledex t1_iz2vwun wrote

Sex also works differently in fruit flies I’m pretty sure. But this would make sense, the reason (or one of them) women live longer is they have two copies of every chromosome, and men only have one copy of the X so when something breaks we are SOL.

Old-Bluebird8461 t1_iz38xp7 wrote

Nothing new. All anti aging research has been looking at sex differences. Sometimes weighted for males, sometimes not. Sometimes not females.

elderboon123 t1_iz132kt wrote

You just know the liberals are gonna use this as justification in their conspiracy to feminize the nation - leaving no man un-transed

−10

theRedditUser31415 t1_iz1bf0q wrote

You’re joking right

elderboon123 t1_iz1jce2 wrote

This is no laughing matter. The Liberals influence is everywhere - even on Reddit. I dare you to just look at r/sissyhypno and tell me there isn’t a conspiracy at work… They want every man to be “submissive and breedable”…

−3