Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ma1eficent t1_iz2ginm wrote

I have a personal horde of lab created sapphires. They are perfect. They are amazing. They were cheap to get enough to be a modern dragon with a horde.

tidehyon t1_iz41pet wrote

Ah, yup, I just got on the way some inexpensive "supposed to be" natural sapphire. It looks like its legit, since they said that its heavily included, but Ill keep it just for the sake of testing it and for the collection. But corundum is another classical example of "why-should-i-get-a-natural-one".

I think the only situation where you don't want synthetics is when they dont have the same properties as the natural counterparts (one bad example that comes through my mind is inexpensive synthetic opal that has craptons of repeating patterns and usually a weird border at the base of the stone, talking about cabochons here, lets say this one is more visible and annoying than the curved parallel lines on synthetic sapphires)

Ma1eficent t1_iz5aitq wrote

If you buy sapphires from a gem quality lab there are no parallel lines or tells other than how perfect and flaw free they are. And corundum is sapphire.

Kienn12 t1_iz31s3o wrote

Are your sapphires made of people?