Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

total_fucking_chaos t1_j1ubzng wrote

Nerve block from my shoulder surgery wore off 4 hours later. Leaving me in agony and behind the pain so much it took another 8 ours just to become bearable.

Nothing like having surgery to fix pain, to be placed in far more pain than ever.

gogozrx t1_j1vadyv wrote

nerve block for hand surgery wore off during the surgery. woke up from the anesthesia, looked at the surgeon and said, "I'm awake and I can feel everything."

He said, "Ooooo, sorry, Can't stop now. this is going to hurt."

he was right.

HellHathNoFury18 t1_j1vkj68 wrote

Anesthesiologist here, you had an injection with local anesthetic for acute pain. Depends on what they use, blocks tend to last anywhere between 6-24 hours. This is why I tell all my patients to start taking pain pills before they go to bed as yes, the blocks do wear off.

ImprovedPersonality t1_j1us8d3 wrote

The good thing about post-surgery pain is that it should go away pretty quickly. I’ve had multiple surgeries (cubital tunnel (elbow), 2 hip impingements, appendicitis, wisdom teeth removal …) and the post-surgery pain was always much better than the pain before. Not to mention that the surgeries fixed fundamental, disabling problems which were severely impacting my life.

Just the knowledge that the pain is from healing and not from ongoing damage and inflammation makes it so much more bearable. Similar to how DOMS is much more bearable than a tendonitis.

total_fucking_chaos t1_j1ut1mq wrote

3 spinal fusions, one shoulder, two knees. My experience has been very different.

Jetztinberlin t1_j1v3tps wrote

Holy cow. Are you hypermobile, or some sort of athlete?

total_fucking_chaos t1_j1v7w39 wrote

I was found unconscious on the ground in a small pool of blood.

I don't really know what happened. I had been released from the hospital that same day for basically a runaway unknown infection. I was home for four hours. So cracked skull, lacerations, shoulder out of socket, multiple level back injury.

Jetztinberlin t1_j23gvnr wrote

OMG, you poor thing. I'm so sorry this happened to you, and hope you're doing better now.

Contagion21 t1_j1uqpcf wrote

Crazy. The nerve block I got during my rotator cuff repair surgery lasted 5 days before I could even feel my fingers. Like disconcertingly long.

saefas t1_j1va9u9 wrote

Same for me. I had a nerve block in my leg twice for ankle surgery, and both times it lasted nearly a week.

bbpr120 t1_j1x3hcu wrote

my shoulder nerve block (SLAP and a Bankart repair) wore off about 12 hours, woke up in absolute agony thru a couple of big damn percocets.

Not again thank you.