Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Iconicschmoobie t1_j0o6vgb wrote

I said the common myth that black families are missing their fathers is perpetuated by racists. In black communities there are plenty of nuclear families. I think you misinterpreted my comment.

−8

theKtrain t1_j0o72dy wrote

Ah I see now. Still, the black community does have a higher rate of single-parent households. Its not that they are together but just not married, it’s that the dads aren’t in the house and may not be involved. It’s an issue.

https://fathers.com/the-extent-of-fatherlessness/

Iconicschmoobie t1_j0oamho wrote

I’d have to see the stats they pull from. They’re saying over 50% of black kids don’t live with their biological fathers. Growing up it always seemed more of an economic/education issue. My black family doesn’t have this issue, most of the people I knew in middle class families did not have this issue. It also only states biological fathers and not step fathers or uncles acting as a father figure. Black and Latin families tend to have multiple generations in the same household or neighborhood. It’s culturally different from white Americans. I don’t think numbers will show that.

I just dislike when people act as if the absence of black fathers and father figures are a raging epidemic. I’ve had people assume I didn’t have a father and it’s weird

−6

theKtrain t1_j0ocot0 wrote

Anecdotally just through relationships on sports teams or whatever, I’ve seen the rate be way higher for my black peers compared to their white counterparts. This is just one source but every time I’ve looked it up, it’s basically the same numbers.

The stats don’t show generational or family help, which does help, but even that isn’t a total replacement for a kids father being involved in their life and supporting them.

Of course some kids are raised by a single parent and turn out great and I’m definitely not saying it’s impossible, but overall if you take a hundred kids with 2 involved parents and see how they perform compared to hundred kids from a 1 parent home, the kids with 2 parents are going to do better overall. It’s simply a disadvantage.

More money to provide for better things/opportunities, more parental guidance to help a kid find their way, more time to be involved in their life, having a role model, etc.

All of this stuff is compounded when the single parent is poor, and the black community is generally poorer and it just makes it even harder for them.