Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Own-Crew-3394 t1_j0rmfim wrote

Hey Mittens! I like you!!! Thanks for reading and listening and doing your own research. I’m a longtime foster mom. I’m culturally a “white American” and biologically mixed anglo-indian.

I also believed in the myth of the absent Black father until I started fostering teenage boys and finding out. (This is like Reddit’s f* around and find out, but with a LOT more driving kids to school, sports and therapy!)

One thing I found out about is single Black dads who foster, which I was very surprised by, until I found out about single Black dads in general. Guess what, they show up for their kids! They just aren’t married to or living with mom.

That’s more and more of a trend for white dads too. You can scratch your head over it, but it seems to boil down to economics someway, somehow. If both parents need to work full time or more to afford kids, the glue that sticks marriages together can get thin, AND the next generation says hmmmm.. why would I want that? So they have kids young and live apart.

Doesn’t mean Dads stop loving their kids. Now that I’m 20 years in the trenches, and my kids are grown Black men, and my grandkids include growing young Black men, I see it as part of the whole story that dehumanizes Black men. Over violent, over sexed, abandon their children… it’s a bunch of BS and it makes me mad. So what do ya do? Post on Reddit of course ;)