Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tornpentacle t1_j2ntuz9 wrote

So do the artificial faces.

You can see the GAN faces they used at thispersondoesnotexist.com (unfortunately, you have to refresh each time to see a new one).

The real ones were taken from this dataset.

throwaway12131214121 t1_j2nwsya wrote

Yeah but when a GAN face diverges it is seen as a failure and the system learns from that. When a real face diverges it isn’t a failure it’s just a face

tornpentacle t1_j2o62la wrote

What's your source for how the researchers trained these models, specifically?

throwaway12131214121 t1_j2o866u wrote

It’s just part of my general knowledge of how GANs work I don’t have a source, I could be wrong

snek_charm t1_j2odyi8 wrote

In the article, they mention that they specifically selected faces that look as real as possible, without any visual errors, because they were interested in images that would likely be used in advertising and propaganda. It doesn't really test whether any randomly generated face would work, but whether one selected by a person for use in public messaging would. Seems like there's still plenty of room for error in the randomly generated faces though.

throwaway12131214121 t1_j2olrrx wrote

Well if that’s the case it’s kind of obvious. Faces selected to be presented as real by a human are more likely to be perceived by a human as real

Theletterkay t1_j2qakap wrote

It showed a picture of a little boy and all I could think was "where are the bruises, this is clearly fake". Grew up with 3 brothers and now 2 little boys of my own, they are never without bruises or marks of some kind. Boys are hellions.

JukesMasonLynch t1_j2olahn wrote

Love that site. Discovered it a year or two back. It can give you some real Cronenberg's sometimes