Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

-Coffee-Owl- t1_j415he8 wrote

In an utopian universe where producers pay extra costs and fines, taking the full responsibility for their work, without adding it to the final price, making customers to pay for that. Tell me where is that planet and I'll try to go there.

Sevulturus t1_j417u2z wrote

Yeah, I feel like the cost is just going to be shunted to the end consumer.

SemanticTriangle t1_j41bhe8 wrote

Not even. Moneyed interests will first deploy a small portion of their wealth to eviscerate and oust the policy makers attempting to hold them to account. Those lawmakers so removed, business continues as usual.

Political action on global warming is demonstrably too slow without significant campaign finance reform in every large economy. No clue what you do for the large economies with authoritarians in charge, but I guess it's comparing two huge problems.

Darnocpdx t1_j4199ws wrote

They'd simply split the companies up. Pin the blame on one, but make/promote it to look profitable on paper at first, sell it off to investors, then bankrupt it.

The assumption that they'd play fair or not find a way to skirt responsibility is niave at best.

AtLeastThisIsntImgur t1_j43nfbh wrote

It's this planet. You travel there by building a better future and agitating for change.