Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j4jfity wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

lolfuys OP t1_j4jfudj wrote

A link to the study:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acel.13773

>. Functional assessment of human OA chondrocytes showed the acquisition of progenitor-like immature phenotype by a significant subset of cells. Finally, conditional deletion of Stat3 in cartilage cells increased DNMT3B expression in articular chondrocytes in the knee joint in vivo and resulted in a more prominent OA progression in a post-traumatic OA (PTOA) mouse model induced by destabilization of the medial meniscus (DMM). Taken together these data reveal a novel role for STAT3 in regulating DNA methylation in cartilage development and disease. Our findings also suggest that elevated levels of active STAT3 in OA chondrocytes may indicate an intrinsic attempt of the tissue to regenerate by promoting a progenitor-like phenotype. However, it is likely that chronic activation of this pathway, induced by IL-6 cytokines, is detrimental and leads to tissue degeneration.

dth1717 t1_j4jiz2v wrote

Hope so, I got it in my knee it can hurt like a mofo

mromrell t1_j4jl4ya wrote

There's also a bi-partisan agreement in Congress for medicinal marijuana to relieve arthritis pain.

In other words, there is joint support for joint support for joint support...

BasuraOcho t1_j4l0dg8 wrote

Yes. I’ve had a couple rounds of injections in a knee. It works short term, which is nice if I know of a specific activity coming up or something. But I don’t get more than 45(ish) days of relief. I’m not sure I’ll get another one, I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I’m pretty tender for a few days after, it’s a giant needle after all.

Sehr_Gros_Baum t1_j4l2ox3 wrote

Don't you mean Big Surgery?

After all, I've heard (anecdotal, can't say it really did unless I speak to the person who underwent it) of it's success in deferring the need for knee replacement surgery, thereby saving them potentially thousands of dollars.

Cryptolution t1_j4l90yi wrote

No but I got the injections and had a really negative experience. It's extremely anecdotal but I had chronic pain increased from the injections when they were supposed to do the opposite.

Everything that I read prior to getting them stated neutral or positive effects. I guess I'm lucky.

Cryptolution t1_j4la59j wrote

>Unfortunately, while these immature cells make cartilage that is youthfully regenerative during embryonic development or acute injury, they seemed to create cartilage that is dysfunctionally immature in the context of a chronic condition such as osteoarthritis.

>“When present on a longer term basis, hyperactivation of the immature program in cartilage cells is likely to promote inflammation and, ultimately, degeneration and fibrosis,” said Liu, a senior scientist in the Evseenko Lab.

That's a very big caveat that people should be aware of the research. This is extremely early and it is serving as a foundation for others to build work upon. You won't have this anytime soon (like 10 years + in a best case scenario).

Ed-Geingsta t1_j4my0n9 wrote

Is that located in the junk not junk parts of the dna?