Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Thegarbagegamer97 t1_j5c7v35 wrote

Defining helpful with a disorder like that is what im curious about. HOW does it improve it? Does it deal with the mania? The depression? Just a general improvement? So many questions to be had and so little info given.

Kaylycat t1_j5dddjk wrote

Diagnosed bipolar since I was 8, I took a few shrooms w my ex and it literally lifted the fog of depression, the world wasn't so bleary and eh and I didn't SEE it that way either. Normally life doesnt seem so worth living, and i feel genuinely happy? Normal? I can only say that it did make me feel amazing, I had no side effects after coming off of it and i even had another dose a couple weeks later, felt the same exact way. I can DEFINITELY see this being a natural medicine if taken maybe once a week? And in moderation w a doctor helping you. It seems, by tthe study, that some people experienced the side effects of technically cold turkeying a medication, no different than ssris but maybe something that could be managed with a doctors watch.

Holycrapwtfatheism t1_j5ewtbq wrote

Anecdotal and not bipolar but recently fell into a bit of a depressive funk. Tried 2g shrooms for the first time and it was like a brain reset. My mood calmed, the depressed feelings just left. Hopefully more legitimate studies can shed more light onto psilocybin and therapeutic uses.

Thegarbagegamer97 t1_j5ddtz4 wrote

Only asking this out of curiosity, but when you say it made you feel amazing, are we talking the healthy and stable kind or the euphoric kind that mania can sometimes induce? The article talked about that being a possible adverse effect so would love the input

turntabletennis t1_j5fhfxh wrote

The euphoria from mushrooms is far greater than I have ever experienced during any mania. It's not an "on top of the world" feeling, it's more of a physical body euphoria with absolute clarity of mind.

I find myself able to think unabated by my own opinions or spin. You are able to rationalize with yourself. Sometimes this rationality CAN lead to intense feelings of sadness, as you accept responsibility for your past actions, or accept flaws within yourself.

I am fairly sure that watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia while tripping on shrooms contributed heavily to me quitting drinking alcohol. The reason being that I recognized my own drunk behavior in their jokes. Like damn, I'm the joke. Then my brain rearranged. It's hard to explain, but you truly do THINK a different way with psilocybin.

DrEpileptic t1_j5d7rfl wrote

Also, how does the tolerance work with it?

OfLittleToNoValue t1_j5db628 wrote

Mushroom tolerance builds and wanes quickly.

Most people will feel something around 1g. 3gs is a solid trip.

Onset can be an hour or so and the effects can last about 6 hours.

Micro dosing is about .1g every 3-4 days. Using even such a small amount daily can still build tolerance that renders them far less effective.

There's growing research into everything from depression and autism and PTSD and more being helped by psilocybin.