Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Darustc4 t1_j9qp8wf wrote

"There is infinite demand for deeply credentialed experts who will tell you that everything is fine, that machines can’t think, that humans are and always will be at the apex, people so commited to human chauvinism they will soon start denying their own sentience because their brains are made of flesh and not Chomsky production rules. All that’s left of the denialist view is pride and vanity. And vanity will bury us."

Holy shit.

Denny_Hayes t1_j9sjetc wrote

I was thinking, in history of ideas I have always heard that both heliocentric theory and the theory of evolution were a blow to human pride, because they meant to give up on the idea that we 1. were the center of the universe and 2. that we were different and above any other living being on Earth. Instead, we had to face the reality that we are just on a random rock in a corner of an uncomprehensibly large place, and are just another more inteligent animal, but just as animal as any other, instead of being selected by god.

However it was hard for me to really grasp that. I always thought it was an exaggeration based maybe on some books written by some conservatives in each time, and not really a widespread blow to people's ego, you know, in an emotional way and not just in a rationalized way -as in, not just the realization that previous knowledge was actually wrong, but actually a feeling of hurt or anxiety over the realization that we are just not that special. That second part seemed unlikely to me, like, what's the big deal we turn around the sun instead of the opposite, what's the big deal we share most of our DNA with monkeys?

But now, this feels just like that. And people are geniunly offended at the very idea that a machine could be intelligent or conscious. Because it would mean we are no longer unique. Sure we can accept we are animals, but intelligent animals right? But now if a computer can be just as intelligent and sentient as us, what's left for us? And this is not merely a thing for philosophers to ponder about. I suppose the average twitter user will not write a teatrise on it, but they certainly are expressing what seems to be a blow to our collective egos.

ironborn123 t1_j9sxhs8 wrote

Great insight from history. But the feeling of being offended doesn't last. Just as with those historical examples, people finally accept the truth when all the other ways of dealing with it have been exhausted.

94746382926 t1_j9zrq3g wrote

Even if they never come to grips with it, their children and grandchildren grow up in this new world and to them it's nothing new or scary. Just the way it's always been for them.

Clean_Livlng t1_j9y4gsw wrote

>what's left for us?

We're the ones who collectively built it, and we can take pride in its accomplishments. Like a parent being proud of their children.

We can feel good about having created sentient AI. What other creature has created AI that we know of? Only us. We've done this amazing thing.

We've used crude tools to make better tools etc, and done this so well that now our tools are sentient.

Denny_Hayes t1_j9yrefg wrote

Well unfortunately I personally took no part in the development of the AI (other than the occassional crowdsourced captcha)

Clean_Livlng t1_j9z61z4 wrote

>(other than the occassional crowdsourced captcha)

You helped!