Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Silicon-Dreamer t1_j9ov5qx wrote

Despite arguing yes, AI art is art, it seems like a good idea to restrict its ability to be copyrighted because if it can, what is to stop an individual from renting a ton of GPUs, generating billions of "beautiful painting/character, 8k, etc etc" as a generic prompt, copyrighting them all, then threatening to sue anyone who generates anything that looks similar enough (in the eyes of a judge who doesn't know the technology well enough) to warrant a case?

duboispourlhiver t1_j9oycol wrote

Interesting problem, but isn't this limited in the US by the registration fee required to get a copyright registration ?

Silicon-Dreamer t1_j9oz230 wrote

My apologies, good question. I'm looking at the copyright registration fees for those working in the US, and apparently they have separate fee categories for single works & groups of works. I'm not sure what is defined by "group" here, how many constitutes a group, if there's a limit on it or not.

duboispourlhiver t1_j9p0jkl wrote

I'm not aware of this ! If you find more info and share them I'd be happy ! Thank you

Deadboy00 t1_j9peorf wrote

Copyrights are automatically granted to the creator of the work. Registration provides an indexed record of your copyright so others can see it.

Using work generated by automated processes is a huge liability. Anyone can sue you and claim ownership.

Hack fraud creatives using this tech thinking they are getting away with something are going to have a very rude awakening when their clients/etc sue them.

KyleG t1_j9w6d9i wrote

Actually independent creation is a defense against a copyright claim. That means if you can prove that you use an AI to generate the art with your own prompt you would win against someone suing you for infringement because that's an independent creation. It is patent law where independent creation is not a defense.

Deadboy00 t1_j9w97y5 wrote

True...but that's not the central issue.

A copyright requires human authorship. Even if you could copyright a prompt (you can't), the generated output would not be.

Sure, they're the ongoing lawsuits against ai firms that use copyrighted works to generate their own product. Regardless of the side you wish to come out on top, there is a lot of merit to the suit.