Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JVM_ t1_ja3dyu5 wrote

The world is going to get weird.

Everyone will make their own culture, or cultures will develop that don't relate to any others - at least not in the same social structure rules that exist.

It will be like how North American TV culture and Japanese Anime is wildly different in their story telling and art styles.

AI generated art, AI generated stories, all custom made on your phone.

Hopefully a pushback of doing real things with real people will emerge.

SurroundSwimming3494 t1_ja3u7ip wrote

>Hopefully a pushback of doing real things with real people will emerge.

Are you serious?

JVM_ t1_ja4feit wrote

Handmade by humans. AI free spaces. Handcrafted without AI assistance. Made by humans for humans. Made with love not silicone.

"Did you make that, or is it a Rec?" short for recreation

I think we'll have a word or shorthand for AI generated stuff since there will be so much of it.

Like how Text is a verb or Google is a verb, we'll have a quick way to say something is AI vs Human generated.

Maybe a focus on doing things with real humans is too much, but I think non-AI interactions will be valued higher. If I mailed you a handwritten letter you'd value that more than this comment or even a personal email.

Reddittors are likely to embrace the full digital spectrum of AI, but I don't think that sentiment is universal. As Styx said in their song "Domo Arigato" (Mr. Roboto) in 1983...

"Machines to save our lives; machines dehumanize."

In the 1920's as recorded music became popular, the musicians protested as, in all the previous years, music was only ever heard if a human played it for you. Music used to always be a social event, you needed to be skilled yourself, or have skilled friends or others to play it for you, otherwise you'd never hear music.

Drown_The_Gods t1_ja4x637 wrote

I’m in to carpentry. ‘Hand Made’ is always a moving target, and the same will be true of ‘AI-Free’ work. It’s a marketing label, a tactic, and needs to be separated in our minds from the incoming changes, which will pervade all this ‘AI-free’ work we will laud.

z57 t1_ja3o7gp wrote

Good foresight! I think you're onto something with the analogy of the TV culture differences.

Any other predictions? I'm ok with you spoiling the next chapter.

JVM_ t1_ja3vzwl wrote

Hopeful thoughts.

AI can speak protein coding languages. Sample your blood and generate the protien structure that kills only your cancer. Or fixes your degenerative disease. Or improves photosynthesis to a level where we can sequester carbon out of the atmosphere, and make it into wood or hack algea to make fuel for us so that we only burn atmospheric carbon and half global warming.

When enough jobs are eliminated governments are forced to implement universal basic income to keep society stable. You will have a place to live and food to eat. AI will keep you endlessly entertained and people using AI to generate all forms of media will allow you to listen to "new" Beatles songs on demand.

Less hopeful thoughts.

AI will be used as a propaganda generator. I read the liked tweets of a Christian pastor I knew. 15 minute cities - so a city that has everything you need, within a 15 minute walk - are a government control plot.

That level of thinking won't go away, pushback on improving society for "the others" won't be accepted by everyone. Humans are going to human, the most selfish among us are going to continue to make sure they get theirs and can play their power games over others.

Either way, it's going to get weird. Today we have a shared, global media environment (for better or worse). We all watch the World Cup of soccer, we watch marvel movies. When you can generate a custom marvel movie faster than I can type all this, we'll lose those connections between you and the stranger at the grocery store.

Humanity "survived" the taming of electricity. Jobs changed, new places were created, new jobs were made, new art, new foods, new objects. I think AI is of the scale of electricity being tamed, but will happen on a month's to years timescale instead of decades it took to build out the electrical infront.

The next society level changes after AI will happen at an even faster speed. Maybe AI will become sentient, or, it will be harmful while not being intelligent, it will just have or take control of systems that humanity relies on. An AI that can do stock trades vs a competing AI will have unintended consequences.

If we can't easily predict what poem will come out if ChatGPT, how can we predict what it will do when AI is in control of something more important.