Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Waste_Rabbit3174 t1_j7rjbkh wrote

Are these people using CSAM images to train the model? If not, I don't see an ethical dilemma. Edit: or photos of real children in a non-sexual context, of course.

−1

Artanthos t1_j7ry3kv wrote

It would take very little effort to use merged photos of real children in the generation of images.

Waste_Rabbit3174 t1_j7s3skt wrote

Sounds unethical, then.

Agarikas t1_j7sotxq wrote

But is it illegal?

Waste_Rabbit3174 t1_j7sp56b wrote

It'll be very interesting to see how the legality is handled. Imo there are a lot of things about AI that our government (USA) is not ready to legislate.

Mementoroid t1_j7w86lz wrote

"In addition, visual representations, such as drawings, cartoons, or paintings that appear to depict minors engaged in sexual activity and are obscene are also illegal under federal law." So, I think it should apply to AI generations as well.

I also am not sure what to think about how people tend to agree or disagree on legalities. I remember when, in non-AI related discourses, not sure which ones but it was pretty recent, there was backlash about "X" thing being legal. And a lot of redditors jumped in to say that "Legal does not equal ethical".

Now the same discourse is being used for many things AI: "It's not ethical, but it's legal so it's fine."

Agarikas t1_j7w90ys wrote

That's because ethics vary widely by culture and the individual. Laws are more focused.

Mementoroid t1_j7w9mfw wrote

Laws are also just as varied by culture. Gun control for a very clear example. Not by individual that's for sure.

I do cannot wait for an AI to be the judge and jury and lawmaker, unbiased by beliefs and ideologies.

Agarikas t1_j7wa9ze wrote

Yes, but ethics vary even more within the same culture. Me and my neighbor both pay taxes because it's the law, but we have very different sets of ethics. That's normal. Basing something on universal ethics is a fool's errand.

Mementoroid t1_j7wd5wi wrote

I stated the opposite. Not universal ethics, universal laws.

Mementoroid t1_j7s58rr wrote

Not that like I know their methods. But if society thinks there's not an ethical dilemma then I dunno what to say.