Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ddeeppiixx t1_j9j9d79 wrote

Of course no. Unless the research is done within a University context (or publicly funded), you won't have the model open source. SD is maybe the exception, and it seems to me like they regret releasing it and are now doing whatever they can to regain control.

needle1 t1_j9j9nyr wrote

Hm? Care to elaborate on what they’re doing to “regain control?”

ddeeppiixx t1_j9jav1p wrote

First they tried to take control of the DF subreddit (Source). Apparently it was solved on good terms.

Also, newer versions are much more controlled in term of what you can generate. No more NSFW allowed, no more "famous artists" based models. They was also rumors about new license terms (not sure if it did happen actually) that essentially provide them with legal power to force users to update to a newer version (as crazy as it sounds). There is a reason that the community is still using 1.5 version over the 2.0 version.

Honestly, the way I see it, Stability AI are not doing it with bad intentions (at least I hope), and are kind of forced to do that, as they are a legal entity and have to address all the threats of legislative actions regarding explicit sexual contents and living artists.

Ylsid t1_j9jamyy wrote

Unfortunate, but I figured. Something's up when the Russians are the only ones releasing LLMs

MysteryInc152 t1_j9lj5ef wrote

The GLM models are from China and open sourced.

Ylsid t1_j9mil4h wrote

I didn't know China was doing it too! I know Russia recently open sourced one. If their tactic is to undermine western power by open sourcing their next big products, they can keep doing it