Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cuissonbake t1_jd3103r wrote

They never tell you the specifications it's frustrating. I'm going to spend an hour just trying to figure out if they finally figured out how to increase the battery life past 2 hours. SPOT only lasts 2 hours on a single charge which means what you want (humanoid robots being integrated in businesses) is currently bottlenecked to fancy novelty display for now. Because just having more than one of these requires an insane amount of physical storage space in a dedicated charging room just to work for 2 hours. So the only practical use case for now is robotics in warehouse jobs.

Once batteries allow 8+ hours of nonstop operation, then it gets exciting but idk how long that's going to take. Probably within the decade because finally EVs are going to become standardized which should have happened forever ago but boomer capitalists love making young people turn old before change happens so my life is just a pointless transitory tech desert purgatory. I'll die right when anti aging tech becomes viable as a cruel irony in this torture sim we all live in.

I'm probably just being a little to doomer since I'm only 30... But I lived through decades of still ongoing culture war bs just so people like me can even be acknowledged that we exist not just as a joke. But an actual real person... It's why I'm doomer that any change will ever happen because humans take hundreds of years to understand basic shit.

Aggravating_Ad5989 t1_jdcqz42 wrote

This is what annoys me most, everyone says humanoid robots would be perfect because they can work 24/7 without breaks. Well that's just a blatant lie, as you have stated already, current battery technology is utter crap for this use case.

Unless we can get batteries that can last 8+ hours, and fast charge, we aint gonna be seeing humanoid robots in stores/factories for a long time.

Unless you just attach a permanent power cable to the thing, which just would not work for many jobs.