Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Villad_rock t1_je0q161 wrote

When ai enters the economy now it will make trillions of dollars, companies can be left behind, countries can be left behind. Which means NOW we enter a stage of huge talent and money into ai research, strong competition which further accelerates research, governments will be involved, an ai arms race.

That is actually the game changer in developing agi.

Look how far we come in 10 years without all of this.

Professional_Copy587 t1_je0qozc wrote

Thats just outsider speculation. You could say the same about many things but in terms of development and progress towards AGI my point still stands

hyphnos13 t1_je0x9un wrote

Maybe. A lot of the economy is the production of physical goods, food, power, infrastructure. You can be infinitely smart and not be able to grow enough food to feed a single family.

Ai can tell us how to do and make things better but it won't happen instantly unless it gains the power to manipulate matter and energy simply through computation alone.

Villad_rock t1_je1aed1 wrote

Those industries will also be more productive and I mean with current ai.

hyphnos13 t1_je1crpe wrote

I agree but there are many many aspects of the economy that ai can't improve rapidly. Things still have to be dig out of the ground, moved around etc. Up to the point we can 3d print or micromanufacture everything at the point is needed.

Maybe we will get an ASI that can devise tech like that but it's unlikely we are getting star trek replicators any time soon. The base atoms will have to be made available in order to make whatever and that involves a great deal of inefficient gathering and transporting for the foreseeable future.

A lot of what people are referring to as increased productivity is just increased profits from automating inefficient desk jobs and the elimination of the managers standing over them.

Real productive increases will require better designs and machines to build things otherwise we are just talking about reduced labor costs.

I think most of the real money from ai/AGI/asi whatever comes about will be in the creation of things that don't currently exist because they haven't been invented yet, not replacing accountants and lawyers with expert systems.

Villad_rock t1_je1mg84 wrote

A lot of money is in software, most startups as well as companies with high market caps are in tech, there aren’t even enough programmers for the demand. Ai will make them much more productive.

It doesn’t need to affect every industry immediately to produce a lot of money and competition.

Adobe, google, unity and soon many more come with their own ai products to be not left behind.

The manufacturing and transport industry etc isn’t even really important to accelerate towards agi because computer scientists and programmers are the biggest contributors which are in the tech industry.

We also don’t need asi or replicators just robots who dig everything up, manufacture and transport it which needs agi. At that point there will be no real economy anymore.

Really weird how you talk about money in an age of agi/asi.